Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress speed (plugin not scalable?)

• reedy
    Participant

@reedy

I am having a number of issues with slow posting times. Posts are taking up to 30 seconds to submit in many cases.

I spoke to my webhost who offered the following details:

We have reviewed your case in details. As you probably know the BBPress plugin saves each forum new topic or post to a topic as a new post in the WordPress database. Due to this reason your WordPress’ posts database table and its meta data is getting quite big.

I believe that the main reason for your slow performance is the size of the _posts and _postmeta database tables.

Decreasing their size will speed your website up.

I did actually try the fix suggested at the end of this forum topic by editing the functions.php file.

This way I have managed to post a test topic for about 12 seconds instead of the previous 30-35 seconds time frame.

My forum contains 500,000+ posts, so I accept that the database will be getting large. Is there nothing that can be done to improve the awful performance I am seeing until the much rumored bbPress 2.6 is released?

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Kiril Ivanov
    Participant

@interested

I believe you could try out the suggestion from the following forum thread:

Slow to Post

Check the reply of @daniellajos.nl.

reedy
    Participant

@reedy

Thanks for the reply — however, as mentioned in my opening post we have already tried that solution. It helped, but posting is still extremely slow (from 30-35 seconds to about 10 seconds).

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

i’ve the same problem with 1,1 miljon posts.
    Here it takes 4 to 6 seconds to post. Not very fast.

There a serveral topics about this problem.
    It looks like the author’s of Bbpress don’t see that as a big problem.
    for them Bbpress posting is fast. (i think they testing on a small forum)

reedy
    Participant

@reedy

Version 2.6 is supposed to address performance issues, but there is no indication as to when it will be released. At this point, I am considering running the alpha version in a live environment just to increase performance.

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

i use Alpha 2.6 and it is not much faster than 2.5.

Still very slow.

reedy
    Participant

@reedy

That’s disheartening.

Are you running BuddyPress, too? If so, have you tried disabling BuddyPress to see if that speeds up the posting process?

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

Yes i use buddypress and that is not the problem

i’ve tried all other plugins but iám sure the problem is that bbpress is slow with big tables

I hope you saw that we released bbPress 2.6 beta last night 🙂

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-2-6-beta-1/

There are significant performance increases with 2.6, wordpress.org/support is now running 2.6 alpha, we’ll update it shortly to 2.6 beta.

We’ve got further performance enhancements to come, one that I think you may be running into is the time it takes to post a reply, one change that was merged last night and is now being used here on bbPress.org significantly imporoves that time for adding new replies, another in the works for the same issue is to optimize how subscribers are notified of a new reply in a topic, currently most of that wait period you’re experiencing I would think is coming from topics that have high number of subscribers.

Anyway, I hope this is better news for you 🙂

p.s. WordPress dot org support has ~2.5 million topics and 6 million replies

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

Great news.

Can i use the beta2.6 safely on my live forum?

Per the announcement post:

If you’re going to test 2.6 on a live site, maybe don’t just yet. It runs a database upgrade routine to migrate favorites & subscriptions from usermeta to postmeta, and for large forums that may take a while or possibly lock things up for a bit.

So I’d suggest waiting until we hit beta 2, by then we should be able to better analyse how the upgrade routing has worked for some larger sites, mainly wordpress.org.

reedy
    Participant

@reedy

This is great news. I can’t wait to see these performance improvements and hope 2.6 moves swiftly through beta.

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

ok have you any idea when release beta 2?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@reedy – If your install is experiencing slowness issues, I’d *love* it if there were a way for you to try the 2.6 beta. You are exactly the best person to be the most helpful, and confirm that our improvements actually make the same differences for others that we are seeing for ourselves.

Is there a way I can help you safely give it a try?

reedy
    Participant

@reedy

@johnjamesjacoby I’m OK with giving it a try, as long as there is some support around if anything goes wrong!

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

i already use 2.6 alpha.

works 2.6 beta1 faster than 2.6 alpha?

senatorman
    Participant

@senatorman

i’ve do the upgrade and the fix from 2.6 alpha to 2.6 beta1.

i see no realy performancechange

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@reedy I’m here if you need help. Can also use the #bbpress channel in WordPress’s Slack instance.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@senatorman The improvements here on bbPress.org were not-insignificant.

We have 25k topics, 100k replies, and many more in spam/trash/drafts/revisions, amounting to around 180k total posts.

It’s not a huge-huge install, but not exactly small either.

p.s. @reedy, to get Slack up and running to join the #bbPress channel sign up here:

https://chat.wordpress.org

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar