Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress Shortcodes appear to request new WordPress registration

• megatill
    Participant

@megatill

Hi – I have a WordPress site that has been operational for 5 years.
    I wanted to add a Discussion Forum using bbPress, and I have been successful in installing the bbPress plug-in.
    Using the bbPress Shortcode Codex, I wanted to create a requirement for people to log into my new Discussion Forum using
    [bbp-register] – Display the register screen.
    [bbp-lost-pass] – Display the lost password screen.

However, when I test these two options, it appears that these two options actually create a new WordPress account – with no connection to my existing WordPress site at all. When I test the Register facility, a new page opens with the WordPress create account box (create username and password).

What is wrong with the Shortcode usage, please?

WordPress 5.4.1 running Enterprise theme.

Who and What I Find – About this site

bbPress Version 2.6.5

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress just uses WordPress accounts.

so if you want your existing users to use bbpress, then set the default role in dashboard>forums and the next time they log in, they will get this access.

megatill
    Participant

@megatill

Thanks, Robin W, for your reply but I do not think that helps with actually registering!

I have NO EXISTING users, but I do want to be able to have them register to become a user!
    The current situation appears to force them to become registered users of WordPress rather than a registered user of my bbPress Forum.

The only option I have when I view dashboard>forums is to create a new forum – I see no “roles” or “settings” under that view.

However, under dashboard>settings>forums I see the opportunity to set a role.
    I have ticked the Automatically give registered visitors PARTICIPANT forum role which was previously unticked.

By ticking, have I given them access to my Forum when they use the registration link?

Thanks again!

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry was trying to answer quickly over the weekend – should have read dashboard>settings>forums !

The current situation appears to force them to become registered users of WordPress rather than a registered user of my bbPress Forum.

so yes, by ticking the participant role, then when they register, they will be given the participant role when they first log in, and have access to the forums

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar