Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress ‘recent Topics’ widget bypasses password?

• oxonbees
    Participant

@oxonbees

Hello,

I run the website for my local beekeeping branch, sbka.org.uk

We have a couple of forums that, as they are for members only, are on password-protected pages. Members can see what’s in the forums by using the ‘members area’ password but need to log in to post new topics or replies.

I want to display the most recent posts in the sidebar using the bbPress Recent Topics widget. However when I implement the widget anyone can click on the link and go straight to the forum by-passing the password.

Is there any way to stop the widget by-passing the password protection on the Forum page?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

you might want to look at

Private groups

here you can set up a group – say called ‘members’ and allocate forums and users to that group.

This will automatically show forums/topics/replies to logged in members, but otherwise hide them.

There are widgets in this plugin for recent topics and replies which will hide these

oxonbees
    Participant

@oxonbees

Hi Robin,

Thanks for this, I can see what it achieves.

As we see the website has a role attracting people to beekeeping and make as much information as possible freely available I keep access to the website as simple as possible, hence just password-protected members pages and I only ‘make’ members sign in if they want to post a new topic / reply.

Thus the Private Groups plugin probably overcomplicates things for our members.

Any other thoughts on how I might use the widget to advertise new topics yet ensure the (members) password needs to be entered to get to forum page.

Regards,

Robin W

@robin-w

thanks, but of you only protect at ‘page’ level, then all topics and replies are freely visible to users – they are only hidden by people not knowing a topic title.

bbpress itself has forums visible to all (public forums), and/or visible only to logged in (private forums) it does not have a concept of page protection for someone not logged in.

Hence the widgets do not have any protection.

oxonbees
    Participant

@oxonbees

OK, many thanks for your help.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar