Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BBPress Plugin overrides my search functionality sitewide

• jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

I installed the BBPress plugin to use as a forum for Lost & Found. The only problem we have run into involves the search function of BBPress overriding the Search function we already have on our site. This function is very important to us as people search our faculty and staff and our large site constantly.

I’m having trouble figuring out how to delete or disable all search functions for bbpress so that our site continues to use the search functions that we setup.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Our website is http://daniels.du.edu

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

• jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

Actually, I may have just solved this myself. I unchecked the search function in the plugin’s settings, then deactivated the plugin, reactivated, cleared the caches and voila, everything is back to normal!

Robin W

@robin-w

great – glad you’re fixed

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

Ok, again, never mind. After giving my site some time to clear it’s cache, the problem is back.

Please advise on how to remove the search functionality from the bbpress plugin so that my regular search works on my website, http://daniels.du.edu.

Currently, any search simply returns the most recent posts in an unformatted template.

Robin W

@robin-w

can you give an example of where and what you put in to get your error, I tried ‘hello’ on the home page and just got valid items.

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

Its’s with everything I type. I tried typing in Hello, hello, on the homepage search box and go this:
    http://awesomescreenshot.com/05430dw20f

It says Latest posts and gives the most recent posts we have and isn’t formatted. I tried clearing my caches and the problem still exists.

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

I cleared all my caches and went to the site and tested the search for hello. It is only turning up “Latest Posts.” I’ve tried this in a few different broswers, logged in and logged out of WordPress…

The screen shot is what I’m seeing. http://awesomescreenshot.com/05430dw20f

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

When I type in anything in the search, I receive a list of ‘latest posts’ (see screen shot). I typed in MBA, which for us, a business school, is something that usually turns up many posts. Not only does it pull a ‘latest posts’ page, it’s also unformatted.
    http://awesomescreenshot.com/03730e6s9f

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

Hi Robin,

I’ve been trying to post this reply since yesterday and for whatever reason it hasn’t been working. So, sorry if you’ve been receiving all of them…

When I go to our site, after I’ve cleared all the caches, etc, in multiple browsers, this is what I see:

I’ve been using common search terms that would return search on our site, MBA, Daniels, Master’s Degrees, etc.

Instead, all I see is an unformatted page that has “Latest Posts” listed. Even if the search didn’t turn up results, it should still have a formatted page saying No search results.

I’m hoping you’re able to recreate this. Thanks for you help!

Jenna

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

Hi Robin,

I’ve been trying to post this reply since last week and for whatever reason it hasn’t been working. So, sorry if you’ve been receiving all of them…

When I go to our site, after I’ve cleared all the caches, etc, in multiple browsers, and I see an unformatted listing of our 10 latest posts. I cannot include a screenshot-that is what has been keeping my replies from going through.

I’ve been using common search terms that would return search on our site, MBA, Daniels, Master’s Degrees, etc.

Instead, all I see is an unformatted page that has “Latest Posts” listed. Even if the search didn’t turn up results, it should still have a formatted page saying No search results.

I’m hoping you’re able to recreate this. Thanks for you help!

Jenna

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

Hi Robin,

I tried inputting Hello, and received an unformatted list of our latest posts (labeled “Latest Posts”).

I tried putting MBA, a term that would normally turn up pages of results, and again received an unformatted list of our latest posts.

I tried searching names of faculty/staff members tagged in our directories and posts, and again received an unformatted list of our latest posts.

I’ve attempted to include a screenshot to show you, but my reply does not go through. I’m hoping that you’ll be able to recreate this issue so we are both seeing the same thing!

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, sounds like you have a conflict

try

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the feedback, but unfortunately, our site is so large and widely used that disabling plugins and/or switching themes is not a viable option for us.

Is there any way to alter any of the bbpress files to disable search completely or remove it? It seems that part of the problem is that my theme calls a certain search file which is being overridden by the bbpress search file. But when I try to edit your file in my ftp, it won’t let me…

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, sounds like you need a test site

https://codex.bbpress.org/creating-a-test-site/

so that you can test things like installing bbpress prior to going live !

Anyway, back to your immediate issue, it will be very theme dependant, and sounds like your theme is doing something with search after you’ve disabled it

you say ‘our site continues to use the search functions that we setup. ‘ have you some special search function, or how is your search working?

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

We have a test site setup, but we pay a company a lot of money per hour to run diagnostics on larger problems. I’m trying to get to the bottom of this problem using your support before I turn it over to them.

“you say ‘our site continues to use the search functions that we setup. ‘ have you some special search function, or how is your search working?”
    – Nothing special, just that our search function calls our own loop-search.php file and search.php file and the loop-search.php file in the plugin seems to be overriding the loop-search.php file in our theme file.

Robin W

@robin-w

It may well be that you’re search form is just including the forum posts.

bbpress uses custom post types of ‘topic’, ‘forum’ and ‘reply’. You site wide search may well need to exclude these types so that forums results do not get filtered into the search.

see https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_search_form

In particular

<input type=”hidden” value=”post” name=”post_type” id=”post_type” />
    Here we submit the value post. The default value is any, meaning, posts, pages and custom post types.

ie the default is any would include forum entries.

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

The problem is that my search form is only returning a list of recent posts. It’s not including ANY forum information, and it’s not including any valid search results. Prior to installing BBPress, my search results were displayed on a formatted page that said “Search Results.” Now when you search, it’s saying “Latest Posts.” Somewhere with the installation, something is rerouting the code to pull from somewhere else.

In my searchform.php the code is:

<form role="search" method="get" id="searchform" class="form-search <?php if (is_404() || !have_posts()) { ?> well <?php } ?>" action="<?php echo home_url('/'); ?>">
      <label class="visuallyhidden" for="s"><?php _e('Search for:', 'roots'); ?></label>
      <input type="text" value="" name="s" id="s" class="search-query" placeholder="<?php _e('Search', 'roots'); ?> <?php bloginfo('name'); ?>">
      <input type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value="<?php _e('Search', 'roots'); ?>" class="btn">
    </form>

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

AH! I figured it out. Gosh, how simple.

BBPress was overriding my search because, in the settings, the BBPress search slug was /search, and my search results slug is also /search. By changing the BBPress slug to something else, I was able to quickly and easily fix.

Thanks for all your help! I guess now we know for future reference!

Robin W

@robin-w

Great – really glad that is fixed, and yes I’ve also now learned a bit more, which is why I like coming on this forum.

And you’ve saved yourself a fortune in support fees, so worth treating yourself this evening !

jtabrams
    Participant

@jtabrams

Absolutely! Great to learn new things. I appreciate the time you put in!

Ha! I just found some replies in the spam queue 😉 Unspammed, those words and abbreviations you used starting with a capital M are very common spam words, I’m not typing them either in case it flags me as spam, anyways, restored and sorry about that 🙂

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar