Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress or BuddyPress? With email notification & replies

• clarer1
    Participant

@clarer1

I run a support network Mailman email discussion group. Some members would prefer a forum. Others prefer email. The big advantage of the Mailman group is that everyone gets all the emails and we find people joining in discussion, when they wouldn’t necessarily have logged into a forum. And it’s quicker to reply by email than to log into a web forum. And easier on a phone. So everyone benefits. At the cost of inboxes becoming crowded on a busy day.

A compromise would be to have a forum that has email access – both notification of new posts and replies, and the ability to post messages and replies by email.

I’m new to forums and not sure where to begin.
    Can I do this with bbPress? Or is it better to use BuddyPress?
    Do I need plugins for the email functions?
    I came across < href=”https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-group-email-subscription/”>BuddyPress Group Email Subscription and BuddyPress Reply by Email. Do these work with bpPress or only with the full BuddyPress? Are there other plugins that will work well?

By the way, it’s a private group and people should be able to keep their email addresses private if wished. I saw some posts here that said email addresses were CC in notifications instead of BCC, which is a problem. And other posts saying that BCC notifications weren’t getting through spam filters.

Sorry to leap in and ask so much in one go. I’m a bit lost trying to work out what setup to try.

Thank you.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar