Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress loading about 6X slower than rest of site…

• ZachMatthews
    Participant

@zachmatthews

Hey guys –

My bbPress installation is noticeably slower than the rest of my WordPress site. I have WordPress configured in a multi-site install with bbPress running in a daughter blog. Any time you click a page within the bbPress blog, it takes from 4-7 seconds to begin loading. Once loading begins it is fast. Elsewhere on my site there is no such delay and the pages load essentially immediately.

I have talked to my host and they’re claiming the issue is with the bbPress MySQL queries simply being slow. I have about 75k posts on my board software, which is a recent import from another format.

Can anyone help me speed this up for my users? Is there an optimization I should do? Should I limit returned topics per page? (I currently am returning 20 per page).

Thanks,
    Zach

Here’s the site: itinerantangler.com. Everything is in WordPress now, so you can compare one section of the site versus the Board area, which is all bbPress.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• ZachMatthews
    Participant

@zachmatthews

This is the problem with open-source software… complete lack of support. At least with YaBB the people were passionate enough about their project to answer questions.

This is what my host is saying:

> Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the update and patience, it is just a function of slow forum
    > software and please note slow query or unoptimized query falls under the
    > forum software. Please check with your vendor and make sure your mysql
    > queries are optimized properly.
    >
    > Feel free to contact us if you need further assistance.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nasir M
    > Level 2 Technical Support

Is that really true? My host (JaguarPC) loves to use the term “unoptimized” when they can’t understand what is going on.

ZachMatthews
    Participant

@zachmatthews

I ran the P3 Plugin Profiler and figured out that the plug in WP User Frontend and bbPress String Swap were the ones killing us.

Once I disabled those, query times to reach a new page dropped from 6-8 seconds down to less than a second.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

This is the problem with open-source software… complete lack of support. At least with YaBB the people were passionate enough about their project to answer questions.

Howdy. Not sure where in the world you live, but in America, this was a holiday weekend, and most of us chose to be with our families. Also, last night was WordPress’s 10 year anniversary, and many of us were celebrating with our colleagues.

That said, our forum staff are volunteers and not under any obligation to assist, just like you weren’t obligated to post your reply on how you solved the issue. Scolding them for not being around won’t motivate them to help you (or anyone else) any faster.

…bbPress String Swap…

David Decker keeps an eye on these forums, and would likely be open to feedback on how to improve this plugin. It’s only filtering words on output, so if it’s inefficient, it’s probably an easy’ish fix.

Thanks for posting your experiences, and thanks for the feedback.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar