Bottom

bbPress Install breaks WP editor?

• IanSymonds
    Participant

@iansymonds

Hi

WP: 3.4.2
    bbPress: 2.1.2

When I activate bbPress, the editor on my currently existing pages and posts does not work.

Symptoms:

• The “kitchen sink” toolbar is no longer displayed.
    • The text in the editor panel (“Visual” tab) is white HTML on a white background.
    • When adding a new page or post, the toolbar appears ok
    • When adding a new forum or topic in bbpress, the toolbar appears ok

If I deactivate bbPress, I can edit existing pages/posts with the editor working correctly.

Environment.

This is a brand-new wordpress 3.4.2 installation
    bbpress 2.1.2 just installed.

No other plugins or themes are yet installed.

Thanks for your help.
    Ian

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• IanSymonds
    Participant

@iansymonds

I forgot to click the notify email box. just a quick note here. then I’ll do it.

IanSymonds
    Participant

@iansymonds

No response? Has no-one else seen this problem or has any advice?
    Thanks

Ps. If I’ve reported this problem in the wrong place, or inappropriately, my apologies. Let me know and I will rectify.

chibichiii
    Participant

@chibichiii

I’m having the same problem, althought I thought it had something to do with my theme so I dismissed it. But I have exactly same problem, I cannot insert any media in posts or add a link to my posts and pages anymore as soon as I activate bbpress. Quite annoying I must say ^^ I have no clue how to fix it thought I’m afraid it happened after the last update from buddypress because before I updated everything was still working.

Do you have the ‘Fancy editor’ setting checked in WP-Admin -> Settings -> Forums?

IanSymonds
    Participant

@iansymonds

HI Netweb

I did have that setting checked, although unchecking it has no effect. The issue remains.

Thanks
    Ian

zeaks
    Participant

@zeaks

Same problem here, thought it was a theme issue. If I switch to using the Twenty Ten theme template, the toolbar looks fine, but not really a solution since it messes up everything else.

I am trying to repro it now… Not having much luck though!

What themes activated do you see this problem?

What themes activated do you NOT see this problem?

Do you see the correct toolbar on bbPress ‘Create Topic’ & ‘Create Reply’ regardless of the activated theme?

And is it the same behaviour with WordPress posts and pages?

zeaks
    Participant

@zeaks

Using Twenty Tweleve wordpress theme, the default compat theme the html and visual tabs are to the left and if clicked they create and tags, there’s no background behind the toolbar. If I click the link button, the popup shows up but it looks as if all the CSS for it is missing and I see constant loading icons. If I disable the “fancy” toolbar, I don’t see a toolbar or buttons at all. If I switch to Twenty Ten forum theme, then the toolbar shows.

** Update, looks like a conflict with Jetpack, works fine if I disable it.

• This reply was modified 11 years, 4 months ago by zeaks.
    • This reply was modified 11 years, 4 months ago by zeaks.

Ahhh…. Try updating bbPress to 2.1.3 as it includes the fix for the Jetpack issue.

zeaks
    Participant

@zeaks

I was using Version 2.1.3 already :/

I have just created a ticket in trac https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2021 and we will look into this as soon as we can.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Version 2.1.3 does everything it can to suppress the issue in Jetpack 2.0. Jetpack 2.0.1 will come with its own fix. It’s actually a WordPress core issue causing this; see: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22413

chibichiii
    Participant

@chibichiii

I wasn’t using jetpack, and the error occured after I updated bbpress to 2.1.3
    I rerun a backup, where bbpress is 2.1.2 again and the issue is gone.
    The insert media button within wordpress works again and the fancy editor shows all buttons normally.
    No clue if the update really caused it not too fond to find out either haha.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Afraid I’ll need more information to be helpful then; the only time I’ve seen this is with Jetpack 2.0 installed. It’s possible some other plugin or theme is causing a similar issue, but it’s still a WordPress core bug at the core.

zeaks
    Participant

@zeaks

Downgraded to jetpack 1.9.2 and everything seems fine, thanks for the help

IanSymonds
    Participant

@iansymonds

HI There

I Don’t have Jetpack installed. For me, the problem appears to be related to the 2011 theme.

The steps as I recall them.
    1. Brand-new installaiton of WP 3.4.2. This installation is using the 2011 theme by default. I have not done any changes to the theme.
    2. Added some pages, changed some basic config (time zone etc)
    3. Installed bbpress via the Add new plug-in dialogue in WP

When I returned to the pages added in step 2, there is no menu bar in the editor.
    New pages have a menu bar.
    When I return to the newly added pages to edit them,

If I change the theme to bbpress 2010 or the vanilla 2010, the problem does not occur.

I think I have enough to proceed with my installation.
    Let me know if you need any more information.

Ian

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar