Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress Forum List Widget not showing after upgrade to 2.1

• Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

The bbPress Forum List Widget does not show in the side bar UNLESS I am logged into the site after the upgrade to 2.1. Presumably this is some new security setting, but I can’t find where to find it. I don’t want private forums and links to private forums to show, but I do want the other forums to be listed. Any help appreciated.

The site is here:

http://poetryroundup.us/whup/index.php

The top enty in the sidebar should be the forum list.

Thanks,

Martin

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Are your forums private or hidden?

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

My forums are a mix of both; the old behavior was that the public forums showed up and the private ones did not. Now nothing shows up.

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

P.S. The old behavior was perfect.

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

Actually, I believe that anyone who’s role can read private forums can see the list. I have used the members plugin to modify the author role to allow reading private forums, private topics, and private pages, and they certainly can see the list.

Since this is now an official bug, what should I do? I am a newbie and have no experience–do I just wait, or will it be a long time, so that I should try to cook up a work around, e.g., with a static page that has the forums listed by hand.

All advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Martin

There will be an update released in the not to distant future addressing these 2.1 bugs.

The visibility of forums is/should be at the moment:

Public – Anyone can see these forums

Private: Only logged in registered users can see these forums

Hidden: Only Moderators/Admins can see these forums

As for a work around, I would suggest a static page or text widget with links to the forums you want publicly listed

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

Thank you for the advice; as I want registered users to see the private forums, and public users to see only the others, I need a way to restrict the text widget for the private forum–is that possible?

Thanks!

Martin

Make a static page and as you have the ‘members’ plugin you should see ‘Content Permissions’ available so protect it using that.

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

NOTE: The update to 2.1.1 did not fix this bug.

So the widget is empty for non-users?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

NOTE: The update to 2.1.1 did not fix this bug.

It certainly should have. Try going into Tools > Forums and using the tool to recalculate private and hidden forums. If that doesn’t fix the issue for you, something else is broken fairly specific to your configuration.

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

I recalculated private and hidden forums. The Forum List widget still works only when I am logged in. It should be at the top of a sidebar on the right hand side. The website is here:
    http://poetryroundup.us/whup
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

Jared,
    the widget doesn’t even show up for non-users. It works fine once you log in.
    Martin

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

I am happy to try to help and sort this out, but I need instructions about what I should be checking to see if this is a specific issue at my site or more general. Is there any information that I can supply?

Thanks!
    Martin

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I tweaked the widget code for what will be 2.1.2. If you can report back if it fixes your issues would be great.

keith.sykes@telecomsense.co.uk

@keithsykestelecomsensecouk

Hi I have had exactly the same problem, I updated this morning and the Widget has appeared, many thanks Guys for your efforts.

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

Can you tell me how to install your tweak? I am using just the standard Admin tools, and there seems to be no automatic way to reinstall a plugin that isn’t updated.

Sorry for being such a newbie.

Martin

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

Just upgraded to 2.1.2 and it works perfectly! Thanks for all your work!
    Martin

Great news, thanks for letting us know its working for you now.

11boks
    Participant

@11boks

Hi, Im real new to wordpress and bbpress. I have a similar issue with the bbpress sidebar not showing up. I have my forum page setup as a static page and would like to have a sidebar to login etc… can you help?

11boks
    Participant

@11boks

this is the website. http://aeuphoriaforum.com/acura/

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar