Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress – forum does not show topic while topic shows forum

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I’m confused about what you’re trying to do. You’ll really want to stick to using the functions included with bbPress rather than trying to build your own MySQL queries to connect things.

bbPress uses a bunch of additional post_meta to connect forums, topics, and replies together. It also keeps counts in post_meta of how many topics and replies live inside any forum or topic. When things are off, they’re really off, like you’re showing in your link above.

My advice:

• Use bbPress core functions.
    • Use the WordPress import/export tool if you’re moving between installations.
    • Look at the bbPress functions for inserting forums/topics/replies, and use those as your guide if you still plan on building something custom.

In future versions, I’ll likely clean up some of the post_meta code, so it’s all in one place and easier to grok. Much of it was written as it was needed, so the post_meta isn’t super organized.

fuzzybee
    Participant

@fuzzybee

Hi John,

Thanks for your advices, really appreciate them.

I’m trying to use bbPress core functions.
    Hope the documentation can be updated and improved soon.

I was not moving between installation here.
    The old forums that our company had was based on P2 (or some kind of P2 based) WordPress theme and it’s kinda different from.
    Therefore, using WordPress export, import function is not sufficient here.
    For example, in the past, there is a topic under “Relationship” forum.
    It’s actually a pure post in WordPress term and “Relationship” is a category of posts here.

Again, where is a good place for me to look at the bbPress’ insert functions?

Best regards,

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You’ll want to look at the _insert_ functions in:

• includes/topics/functions.php
    • includes/forums/functions.php
    • includes/replies/functions.php

You’re going to need to build a custom migration tool, since bbPress Forums are not conventional taxonomies and terms. You’ll most likely want to write a new converter tool; there are several located in includes/admin/converters/.

fuzzybee
    Participant

@fuzzybee

Thanks, John, those are very helpful.

I managed to insert all the postmeta and I had a successful migration with plain PHP and MySQL a while back.

I suppose there is not off documentation in place yet and I’m just need to read codes, I think.

1 thing comes across as odd though: I’m using 2.1.2 and I seem to find the _insert_function‘s inside ...wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-includes/bbp-forum-functions.php and so on instead of what you mentioned?

Are you speaking in terms of some older version bbPress?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar