Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BBPress Extensions To make your Forum more like a traditional one? (myBB,PHPbb3)

• admiraljuicy
    Participant

@admiraljuicy

Hi, new to BBpress.

I’ve noticed that there aren’t a lot of options regrading the customization of the forum, at least on the front end and you need to install additional plugins if you want to get more functionality or make things simpler to customize.

My question is, are there any plugins that allow me to have features that are commonplace in other forum software, like who is online at the bottom, different icons for new/unread forums/posts.

Essentially, I want to know what plugins are pretty much must haves for BBpress, I already have the BB style pack plugin which has helped immensely, but it’s still not enough. If there’s a tutorial out there to get all of the customization I’m after than I’d highly appreciate the help as well.

I am using the latest version of wordpress and BBpress.
    The forum in question: https://sonic-city.net/forum/

Thanks in advance

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• wpturk
    Participant

@wpturk

This is the good part of bbpress. You don’t have hundreds of features you don’t need. As you mentioned, everything you need can be added via plugins or code customizations. (functions.php)

Maybe, you can tell us which features you are missing? For example you can check the plugin “GD bbPress Toolbox” which adds many features to your bbpress forum.

admiraljuicy
    Participant

@admiraljuicy

As I mentioned, I’d like features that are common in other forum software like:
    -Who is online at the bottom of the forum
    -Ways to upload/share images and other files up to a certain size
    -More user profile customization
    -post count and ranking system
    -different icons for forum with new replies/topics vs no new replies/topics
    -same as above but with topics within the forums (there are already locked and pinned/sticky icons, so why is this not a thing by default?)

I’ll check out the plugin you mentioned in the meantime so thanks!

Robin W

@robin-w

if you check out

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>other bbpress plugins you will find several that deal with parts of your list

post count is in style pack

user ranking is a plugin listed

there are upload plugins there

admiraljuicy
    Participant

@admiraljuicy

Hi Robin,

Thank you so much for your hard work, I’m currently using the rank and style plugins you created and they are a god send, I’ve sent a donation your way!

I have been experimenting with other plugins as well but I’m still not exactly where I want to get, I’ll be sure to update the thread with the list of plugins I’m using once I’m satisfied!

I do have a question for you though, the “Unread posts” option only seems to work for logged in users, is there a way for it to work with non logged in ones as well? Or is there a setting I’m missing?

Thanks in advance

admiraljuicy
    Participant

@admiraljuicy

Also I activated, and the deactivated the topic preview option and it seems I broke something because, again for logged out users, the preview text shows up right next to the topic link. Oops, is there a fix?

Thanks

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so if you allow anyone to post, it is impossible to show unread posts to non logged in users , as by definition they are not logged in, so the website has no idea who is looking, so does not know who they are and what they have read.

on

Also I activated, and the deactivated the topic preview option and it seems I broke something because, again for logged out users, the preview text shows up right next to the topic link. Oops, is there a fix?

Thanks

can you send me a link so I can see.

admiraljuicy
    Participant

@admiraljuicy

can you send me a link so I can see.

I actually managed to fix it by reseting the setting in your plugin.

ok, so if you allow anyone to post, it is impossible to show unread posts to non logged in users , as by definition they are not logged in, so the website has no idea who is looking, so does not know who they are and what they have read.

I don’t quiet understand, are you saying that the icons don’t show up to non-logged in users regardless of the settings?

Thanks again

Robin W

@robin-w

I don’t quiet understand, are you saying that the icons don’t show up to non-logged in users regardless of the settings?

correct – if you are not logged in, the website does not know who you are, so does not know what you have read

admiraljuicy
    Participant

@admiraljuicy

Ah, that’s a shame, I guess I’ll just use the forum icons option as a placeholder for guests in the meantime.

Hopefully this is something that can be implemented in the future 🙂

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar