Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress and Site Log-In Errors

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • It could be a conflict with another plugin, theme, or numerous other things.

What I would do first is 2 thing:

– Go to Settings > Permalinks to make sure they are flushed

– Temporarily activate TwentyEleven or TwentyTen theme

If it works with TwentyTen/Eleven then you will know there is a conflict with your theme.

areaphoto

@areaphoto

Thanks for the response. I will go and try that now. I have installed and began testing on a subdomain to use TwentyTen. The particular theme I am currently using states it is compatible. I understand though that there could certainly be some bugs associated. I will update with status of TwentyTen.

areaphoto

@areaphoto

OK. Here is where my ignorance comes in. I am at Settings>Permalinks and I do not see what you mean by flushed. Is this a term for a specific Permalinks format? Thanks

By simply going that page, your permalinks are automatically flushed. So once you pull it up that’s all you needed to do :)

areaphoto

@areaphoto

I noticed this at the bottom of the Permalinks screen.

If your .htaccess file were writable, we could do this automatically, but it isn’t so these are the mod_rewrite rules you should have in your .htaccess file. Click in the field and press CTRL + a to select all.

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

</IfModule>

Would this have anything to do with it? I have noticed this before.

I’m not sure if that would cause the problem, but that’s still something you should be fixed.

You need to set the permissions on your .htaccess file so WordPress can modify it.

Should be able to do that through your FTP client.

areaphoto

@areaphoto

I’m honestly not sure why that came out. I was previously using a theme I paid for but was not compatible with bbPress. I switched to this new one (Graphene) which is supposed to be compatible. I wonder if it was something that happened during the switch.

So to make sure I’m not chasing an unattainable goal, I should be able to build this forum through my existing site (say on a page) and be able to handle moderation, replies, etc. through the WP dashboard I’m already logged into? Or is best to create the forum on different domain? My wish would be full integration with the site.

Full integration is completely possible and is ideal, but depending on your theme it may require some tweaks and elbow grease.

But to answer your question, yes you should be able to activate it on your main site.

areaphoto

@areaphoto

I know this isn’t your fault but this is frustrating. I’m trying the new theme and giving it another go. I have installed the plugin, created some forums and topics. As soon as I login it shoots me out to the site’s homepage. As soon as I navigate back to the forum it auto logs me out!?! At this point, I’m wondering if I should start the site from scratch and install 1 thing at a time to see what seems to be the problem. This is where code geniuses get paid for helping idiots like me! :D What do you think? I will put more time into the TwentyTen theme. I really like everything we have done already with the current theme which would suck if I lost it all.

Unfortunately we don’t get paid to help out here, we are purely volunteers.

There is one of two things going on here – A) a plugin/theme is conflicting with something or B) your install is doing something weird (eg are you on multisite).

I would start from bottom and see if you can figure out what is throwing a wrench in everything.

It literally could be about anything, which is hard for my to give you solid instructions on what to do next :(

areaphoto

@areaphoto

I’m thinking using the certified compatible theme of TwentyTen would be the wisest choice. My dilemma is not knowing how to customize it to “pretty” it up more. Knowing that full integration is the intended use of bbPress makes me even more motivated to figure out how to do it. Starting with a fresh WP install and building it from the ground up is not too out of the question for me at this point. I would much rather spend a few hours redoing the site than having to login to an entirely different sites for the next few years! Thanks so much for diligent responses. I will let you know how it goes. I may reach out to the theme developer and see if this is something that is a common error for them. If it is, then TwentyTen it is and some learning and elbow grease customizing it!

areaphoto

@areaphoto

Quick question. Do the Permalink settings/structure matter to bbPress?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar