Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress and cache

• techinbermudas
    Participant

@techinbermudas

Hello

So i own a website in wordpress with latest bbpress installed but i’m having cache issues with the forum. So when browsing i get old content, always have to ctrl+shift+r.

Googling the issue i saw some topics with users but it couldnt be fixed entirely.

I have tried:
    – No cache on the hosting;
    – Automatic cache on hosting;
    – Installed LiteSpeed Cache
    Disabled Cache for logged in users
    Added /topic* /forum* /forums* to be excluded
    Every other setting i found online
    – Installed W3 Cache (i have it currently)
    Still cache issues specially editing topics (shows old content), going back on forum shows also outdated content. Same happens after editing topics
    – Also tried no Cache Plugins, same results.

It has been a pain to try to deal with this and my knowledge is limited on this.
    Any help?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• neon67
    Participant

@neon67

I used for bbpress wp fastest with a cheetah for a long time .. until I found out that the mobile version went into the premium segment)
    Spent a week experimenting and found an even more faster solution.
    1. Nginx cache – compression, reddis, headers.
    2. PhastPress – enable all parameters – then disable unnecessary ones. These are pictures, scripts, queues optimizations.
    3. And finally WP Super Cache – this is the cache stuff, but unlike w3 total – the cache in dynamic, which is what for the forum. Good results – Expert mode enabled.
    Hope this helps you a little.

techinbermudas
    Participant

@techinbermudas

Thanks but it doesn’t look that better xD
    http://www.techinbermudas.com/forums

techinbermudas
    Participant

@techinbermudas

how are you guys dealing with this?

even removing cache management in hosting, deleting all cache plugins and clearing browser data only worked for some time.

It’s a pain because my website in mainly forum wise and having to hard reload to get the updated topics ain’t good.

Robin W

@robin-w

I run several bbpress forums, and I don’t run caching on any of them.

Caching only ever overcomes slow servers, so firstly I expect to pay to get a good server. For business sites, that means getting the website owner to understand that FB isn’t free, google isn’t free, tiktok isn’t free, instagram isn’t free, and neither is their site. The customer pays for all these services, whether through advertising (eg businesses paying FB to place ads, who then use part of this money to have fast servers) or paying the website owner who pays a service provider. so pay for a good server, and you shouldn’t need caching.

On ‘club’ websites (and I am webmaster for several) then the club members need to understand that part of their membership fees pay for the website. If they perceive it as slow, then fine they need to pay more membership fees. However on 99% of these sites, my strategy has always been that good content is worth waiting for 🙂 If you are interested in the insect life of Guatemala, then you’ll quite happily wait a few seconds whilst a forum page renders to tell you about the Thoas Swallowtail butterfly.

Finally if you are running a site where you are touting for business, then I would say that you should treat a fast server as an investment.

WP total cache has had several good recommendations as one that works very well with bbpress.

Some webmasters also do not understand that many browsers (particularly ones for cell/mobile phones) cache locally, so a lack of update isn’t necessarily caused by server side issues.

Finally I would say that I am just a bbpress user here, not one of the bbpress authors, and my views are just mine 🙂

techinbermudas
    Participant

@techinbermudas

But thats exactly my issue, i turned off Cache everywhere i could find xD

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so just properly read your first post – sorry lots to do in life, and don’t always get the issue first time 🙂

So if browser refresh is fixing it, then I’d suggest it’s not a server caching issue.

I’d suggest you try it from lots of devices, try a friends to see if it just your device or even just the browser you are using.

techinbermudas
    Participant

@techinbermudas

ctrl+shift+r fixes it
    cleaning the browser fixes it temporarly

and website users are mostly the ones with issues. Specially on mobile

Robin W

@robin-w

you could give this a try

Force Refresh

and report back !!

techinbermudas
    Participant

@techinbermudas

it didn’t help sadly

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, not a lot we can do about phones which insist on local caching of web pages 🙂

techinbermudas
    Participant

@techinbermudas

From what my hosting said its a client issue but then i never had this type of issues anywhere.
    Is it related to WordPress in general?

the solution could be if the plugin above would do the ctrl+shift+r force refresh instead of a regular refresh that doesn’t do anything.

techinbermudas
    Participant

@techinbermudas

i used this and i think it helped:
    on “wp-config.php” file

define(‘WP_CACHE’, false);

Robin W

@robin-w

@techinbermudas
    it is set to false by default, so suspect that one may be a red herring 🙂

techinbermudas
    Participant

@techinbermudas

you are correct. it still happens.
    even contacted the theme dev for some help, he removed most plugins and still didn’t work.

looks like i have to leave wordpress.

DeepBlue
    Participant

@deepblue5

Hi

We have tested all cache systems

Best cache plugin is LiteSpeed Cache

this plugin is also made for bbpress 🙂

(works even better with a litespeed server you can get at Hostinger for instance)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar