Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BBPress 2.6.0 update breaks forums index-only one level displayed

• sunspot10
    Participant

@sunspot10

The new bbPress 2.6.0 update implemented yesterday breaks the forum index displayed with the [bbp-forum-index] shortcode.

1. The above shortcode used to display two levels, not one on bbpress 2.5.14 before the update.
    2. The problem happens on three different sites, so it is not a plugin compatibility issue.
    3. The problem was reported during the 2.6.0 development cycle but ignored:
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/subforums-not-showing-after-upgrade-from-2-6rc5-to-2-6rc7/

4. The forums that are displayed are and always have been propertly set to display two levels in the index:

Showing parent forums and subforums (categories) in forum root: How?

What I would recommend is modifying bbpress to implement a parameter after the [bbp-forum-index] shortcode such as “showlevels=1-2” or the like. That way users can control how many levels of the hierarchy are displayed in the index.

This is clearly a bug in 2.6.0 that needs to be fixed. When will it be fixed?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

This will be fixed today in 2.6.1. Sorry for the trouble!

See: https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3232

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I was coming to report the exact same thing!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

2.6.1 is out now! Thanks for your patience!

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I updated the plugin and the problem was solved, but now, a few minutes later, it is no longer showing. Strange.

sunspot10
    Participant

@sunspot10

John James Jacoby,

Updated to 2.6.1 and the problem is solved.

Thanks,

Sunspot

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Updated to 2.6.1 and it was solved for a few minutes, but now, it is no longer showing the topics.

Forums

Robin W

@robin-w

@cassel – on your site I can see forums, topic lists and topics – you night need to refresh your browser.

If you still think there is an issue, please come back

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I refreshed he browser. I tried on an incognito window. I even changed from Chrome to Explorer, and changed computer, and I still don’t see, for example, the 4 topics inside the Lobby, or the 2 in the Let’s talk section.

I am not sure what is happening. The topics DID display, yesterday, just after I upgraded the plugin to 2.6.1, but it didn’t last.

Robin W

@robin-w

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Yes, that is what I see when I click on the Lobby section. But they used to be visible similar to this Wayback screenshot (scroll to the bottom):
    https://web.archive.org/web/20190222052723/http://scrapbookcampus.com/community/

Right now, the only ones visible are those in the Showroom.

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry, but without extensive knowledge of how you are set up, it is difficult to comment further

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Trying to figure out what has happened.
    I know I have updated a handful of other plugins after upgrading to 2.6.1 so I deactivated all the plugins that I had upgraded and nothing changed.

What I find strange is that the section called “Showroom” does show the topics inside on the forum index but not the Lobby or the Let’s talk section, so it would not be something affecting all the forums/topics like a plugin conflict.

I have BuddyPress and bbpress style pack active, but even if I deactivate them, those topics still don’t show on the index page.

What else should I look into as POSSIBLE culprit?

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so in the live site on one or more of the forums you are expecting to see what the yellow bit in then screen shot below?

http://www.rewweb.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Capture-1.jpg

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Yes, the Lobby and the Let’s talk should also display the topics, just like the Showroom does now and just like in your screenshot.

Robin W

@robin-w

interesting – so showroom is right, but lobby should also show sub forums.

That means there must be a difference between how these are set.

so can you check each forum

so start with Showroom – is it a forum or category? then each of the sub forums – what is set as their parent, and what is their visibility?

then do the same for Lobby and see if you can spot any differences

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

They were all set to Forums.
    I checked the parent and it was all set correctly.
    The only difference I saw is that the order, in the Showroom was all set to 0, while the others had a number (for their order). I changed it to 0 for the Lobby and the Let’s Talk, and now, they all display correctly.

Strange. It works now. I never changed those order values since I set up the forum.
    But at least, it works now.
    Thanks for the help.

Robin W

@robin-w

strange, just tried setting various orders in my test site, and it seems to work fine – so I canlt replicate your issue.

But as long as you are happy that you are fixed, then I’ll not dig further

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar