Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.1 RC 2 / Theme Compat Questions

• Zephyr

@alisalindsay

Good Day,

Please forgive me for being a complete Village Idiot in regards to WP + bbPress…

I am working on a 2nd site, it’s in development right now. I have BuddyPress installed and inactive, bbPress 2.1 RC 2 installed and active (working well so far, I might add).

I am also using the Custom-Community-Pro theme by ThemeKraft because the young lady that will manage this site is even more clueless than I am and needs the easy CSS updates this provides.

Per the below (copied in the text I’m referring too at bottom of post), I thought with 2.1 we no longer needed to make child themes, etc., for bbPress to match our WP theme. Am I missing something (most likely)? Do I need to still create a child theme or follow the other directions below on making bbP match my site seamlessly?

Again, my apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere…

Thanks and Regards ~ Alisa

Codex Home → Theme Compatibility

As of 2.1, bbPress has built-in theme support. All required elements such as front-end editing are included. This means that all functionality will work, even when a theme has no specific bbPress coding.

All bbPress compat can be overridden using a theme or another plugin. Check bbp-theme-compat template wrappers for what a normal theme should include.

To customize bbPress::

Create a new directory within your theme root called ‘bbpress’ for example: wp-content/themes/YOURTHEME/bbpress

Copy any files from bbPress/bbp-theme-compat/ to the new directory within your theme

Edit the new files for complete control over bbPress display in the theme

You can completely disable the included front-end elements by adding the following to your theme’s functions.php:

add_theme_support( ‘bbpress’ );

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • That’s fairly accurate.

You don’t have to create a child theme or any of that unless you want to customize the default bbPress theme (bbp-theme-compat). In that case just copy the files you want to customize into your WordPress theme directory and bbPress will use those instead.

Zephyr

@alisalindsay

Thank you for the response…I’m about to show you how clueless I am, but I’m learning…

To clarify, when I use the customize theme settings using the tool provided with this theme, it should also change for the bbPress forums. However, when I adjust this theme to its dark color option, the bbPress forum tables do not change – they keep white backgrounds, etc., although the font colors do change.

To fix this, since it’s all cosmetic/CSS, I’d copy bbPress’s CSS to my theme’s directory?

There, told ya I was clueless…

~ Alisa

Zephyr

@alisalindsay

I really hate bumping this topic and apologize ahead of time…

I have read everything I can find regarding getting bbPress’s theme to match my current WP theme. Nothing works…no matter what I do the forum/topic table rows stay white, only the font colors change when I tweak the WP theme’s settings.

Again, all I’m after is the cosmetics…going with dark table and topic row backgrounds, etc.

Do I just edit the bbPress CSS to achieve this?

Thanks Again,

~ Alisa

I’m having the same problem. I copied the contents of the “bbp-theme-compat” folder into a “bbpress” folder in my theme, just like the instructions said, but none of the changes I make take effect. Am I missing something? Is this a common problem?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar