Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 plugins?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• jabbamonkey

@jabbamonkey

Also looking for this answer. It would be great to be able to search the PLUGINS by version as well…

I’ve been told all bbPress 2 plugins are hosted on WordPress.org in the plugin repository.

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=bbpress

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

^—boom :)

enderandrew
    Participant

@enderandrew

The search results return a lot of plugins designed for 1.5. Most don’t mention 2.0 compatibility. Only one plugin is tagged bbpress 2.0, but I know at least 2 work with 2.0. Are there others?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

There is no bbPress 1.5. Are you confusing it with BuddyPress?

enderandrew
    Participant

@enderandrew

Sorry, I meant 1.0. But my point remains that if you search for bbPress in the WordPress plugin repository, there is no indication which plugins are designed for bbPress 1.0 and which are designed for 2.0.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The WordPress plugin repository should not have any bbPress 1.x plugins in it. The ones that are there have descriptions that explain what they do. It may not be obvious at first, but with a little reading it should become clear.

enderandrew
    Participant

@enderandrew

Out of the 67 plugins that come up, some go back to 2009, such as this one.

So I’m not sure it is safe to assume they all are designed for bbPress 2.0.

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-latest-discussion/

Since many of the plugins don’t specify, and there isn’t a list here, I guess I’m going to have to go with trial and error.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

From the page you linked above:

Currently support bbPress 0.9.0.5, 1.0-RC-3 And BuddyPress 1.0.1

enderandrew
    Participant

@enderandrew

That is why I cited it. That particular plugin obviously isn’t designed for, nor will work for bbPress 2.0. The link that was posted above returns 67 plugins. 4 of the first 8 results are from 2010 or earlier.

I was looking through 20 of those plugins the other day, and only one specified it worked with bbPress 2.0. That is why I posed the question. You answered that the WordPress plugin repository shouldn’t have any older bbPress plugins, but it does have plenty of old and incompatible plugins, hence the need to try and ascertain which actually are designed to work for bbPress 2.0.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You can do that fairly easily by reading the plugin descriptions. Please understand that this is a transitional period for bbPress, and things are going to be a little confusing for a while.

Also, keep in mind that any bbPress plugins in the WordPress repo, were there for a very, very specific use case, where bbPress stand-alone was integrated with WordPress. That type of setup is considered ‘advanced’ by most users, so the audience is limited.

Lastly, browsing the plugin repo for ‘bbpress’ probably isn’t going to really provide you the results you want anyways. You’ll have better luck looking for the functionality you want, and then seeing how nicely bbPress plays with it.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar