Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress 1.0 + wordpress mu 2.6 on separate servers

• I may be going about this the hard way, but I thought I’d see if anyone had an answer for me. I’m not a sysadmin, but I play one on tv, or at the very least, can find my way around a linux box pretty well. Here’s what I’m trying to do. I have WordPress Mu running on server a and I have bbpress installed on server b. I want to have bbpress use the user tables of the WordPress Mu db. Every time I’ve tried to do this, I’m getting a db connection error. I know I have the username and password correct. I put in the db host as http://www.servera.com. Is there something I’m missing completely? Should I just give up trying to do it this way?

By the way, I’ve tried this with .9 and no go there either. I really can’t go back to WPMU 2.5 because we have a key plugin that requires 2.6.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You can do it that way, but if you are getting a database connection error, there is something wrong with your database connection details.

I use one server for the database and one for the web server, so I know it will work. Sounds like you just haven’t figured out the proper connection details.

Can you connect to the database box from a linux command line?

Based on the settings you chose, or whoever installed it on your server, there is an option to allow remote connections to the database. I’m assuming you’re using mysql for your database. The most probable cause is that either you’re running a firewall that is blocking port 3306 (default port) or you just simply don’t have remote access set up.

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/remotemysql.htm

That is a fairly straight-forward and decent guide to setting up mysql for remote access. If you have any questions you can ask me and I’ll do my best to help!

Thanks for both your responses. We decided to move the database to the same server. I’m now having issues with the WordPress cookies, but at least that’s a new problem!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar