Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 1.0 alpha looks interesting

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

It’s definitely not ready for production use but the 1.0 alpha in the trunk is looking really good. Sam (and MDA) have been hard at work.

Looks a great deal like WordPress behind the scenes – I mean the new 2.5-2.6 look with rounded everything – but in our familiar and sharp looking green.

BackPress is now powering it which should unify us with WordPress more than ever before and accelerate feature development.

Hey it’s got a dashboard like WordPress now!

[screenshot]

I also see they added Display Names to bbPress.

[screenshot]

This actually is to my dismay but I guess other people may like them. (Personally for me it will be the first thing I disable – nothing but trouble with pesky childish users).

It also has categories built in: [screenshot]

If you are a power user and know what you are doing, give it a try in a test environment – do NOT overwrite an existing install, it’s not stable yet. Sam says they could use some testing bug reports on TRAC for it.

ps. even more good news is that many of my plugins seem to work hassle-free on it…

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hello,

i think the design of the dashboard can be more beautiful.. and i think the little box we have before is more great (i speak about the home of dashboard).

And for the plugins, can we have a system like WP 2.6? (with a button “desactive all” and chekboxes, etc…)

And it is possible to have Google Gears in bbPress in future? :p

bye ;)

and thank you for the very good job!

I’ll take a look :)

If i want to contribute patches, i just upload them to trac ?? I use Eclipse, should i just use the “Create Patch” option?

(sorry, i’ve never used trac nor created patches :p)

Edit: i’m installing it, trying to integrate with WP. I entered all values, but at the end bbPress created a new user table, ignoring the wp_users table.

alexleonard

@alexleonard

Is there any estimate on when this will be coming out?

Very much looking forward to it :)

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

we need more official templates, which are easy to edit/change

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

For those that know what they are doing and have subversion, you can checkout or switch to the trunk of bbPress (which will give you compatibility with WordPress 2.6)

svn switch http://svn.automattic.com/bbpress/tags/1.0-alpha-1/

Unfortunately an automated download zip cannot be created because this is the first version of bbPress that uses BackPress which is automatically added by svn, but can’t be zipped by TRAC.

Here’s a ZIP’ed snapshot from yesterday:

http://www.mediafire.com/?y33rsdhxeld

Keep in mind that you should NOT use the bbPress trunk for live websites – it’s bound to have bugs and some might affect security. You are on your own if you chose to use this version – plugins may have some compatibility issues.

1.0 requires the 3 new WP matching keys inserted into bb-config.php (see thebb-config-sample.php for more info)

Sam could use your bug reports via TRAC if you find problems.

Looking good. Perhaps one day optionally link the bbpress admin into WordPress in a ‘all in one place kind of way’.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I suspect the development of TalkPress will eventually cause the menu integration of WordPress and bbPress somewhere down the line (perhaps WP 3.x and BB 2.x).

Not sure if that’s what I personally would want as the WordPress admin menu is getting a bit crowded but I guess it would be handy to be able to mange users in one place, etc.

what is TalkPress?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

TalkPress will be hosted forums just like WordPress.com does hosted blogs. https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/talkpress

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Sam has just tagged bbpress 1.0 alpha 1 (r1636)

bbPress 1.0 alpha series

https://bbpress.org/latest-alpha.zip

Yay, time to update some plugins to make sure management panels will look cool ;).

Hellweaver666

@hellweaver666

I’m running alpha at the moment, just wondered, when you say it’s not ‘stable’ what do you mean exactly?

It seems fairly stable to me from what I can tell…

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

There are radical internal changes in 1.0 with the switch to the BackPress core, not to mention the cookie changes and some major db function changes which consolidated all the meta tables into bb_meta. The code is untested against most plugins. It’s a much bigger change IMHO from 0.9 to 1.0 vs the older 0.8.3 to 0.9.0 change.

However I don’t think it will take much to get it the final stamp of approval, maybe even late this month or early next, depending how many more features Sam wants to put into it. There’s still a whole bunch of open tickets:

https://trac.bbpress.org/report/3

I just don’t want it to be rushed to an official release like 0.9 was, which was followed shortly by 0.9.0.1 and 0.9.0.2 and then 0.9.0.2 sp1 – that’s embarrassing and makes bbPress look amateur.

Let’s get it right this time – report those bugs at http://trac.bbpress.org

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I just installed r1637 as a test. Installation went well. I can’t believe they added the search by default!

I will test a little more and post issues to trac.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

They kinda went overboard with the search. I pointed out there was no link to search so they put in this big honking search box at the top of the page, creating a bunch of useless whitespace around it.

I asked for meta tables on the forums and instead they convert and consolidated everything into one heaping bb_meta table, breaking some plugins and increasing queries.

I need to learn to stop making requests. LOL

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I agree on the search. It’s too “in your face now.” I think it should have been in the template files and commented out. People could uncomment it to get the functionality. We’ll never be happy. At least with it there now, people can see it, remove it or style it however they want. This is probably better than there being nothing in the template at all before. That’s typically how WordPress themes are: they have a bunch of useless cr*p in them that I just remove or comment out. It’s easier to remove or modify something that you can see than trying to figure out how to add something you don’t know exists.

Not sure yet on the bb_meta table. I haven’t looked at the DB schema yet.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

The search box is not hard coded in the core, it’s only in the template – it won’t be forced on other templates.

Just look in header.php

<?php login_form(); ?>
    <div class="search">
    <?php search_form(); ?>
    </div>

The three “search” lines can be removed or just comment out this:

<?php // search_form(); ?>

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

That was my point exactly. It’s just in the template, like things are in WordPress. Remove them or comment them out if you don’t need them.

Hellweaver666

@hellweaver666

Just FYI everyone, I’m currently developing a site based around WP 2.6 and BB 1.0a and it’s working really well. I’m not using any plugins, but it seems to be working absolutely fine right now. I’ll share the site when it’s close to completion.

If you are building a site and don’t need to go live in the next couple of weeks, I would suggest starting your development with BBPress 1.0 alpha – it’s working well for me!

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar