Categories
Search
Bottom

[bbp-topic-index] shortcode displaying without styles

• TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

Hi,

I started working on bbpress 2.5.14 last night and used the shortcode [bbp-topic-index] on my front page, and it rendered as expected.

Today I switched development to 2.6 Release Candidate 5, and now it is displaying without styles. For example, the all of the lists are showing up completely unstyled with bullets, etc.

However, when I switch to twentyfifteen and use the shortcode on a page, it looked fine.

Any ideas?

Sorry the site is only on my local server as of now, but I could upload later if necessary.

Thank you,
    Bobby

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

make sure you have cleared the cache in your browser.

But yes would need to see an accessible version to see what is happening

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

I even tried in another browser, so it wasn’t a cache issue.

It’s odd that everything else seems to work and style correctly, but not this shortcode.

I just tried

<?php echo do_shortcode("[bbp-forum-index]"); ?>

And same issue. Hmmm…

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

I just tried to insert the shortcode on a random page via the admin editor, and it worked fine.

So it has something to do with putting it in my template directly. Any ideas?

Robin W

@robin-w

I haven’t tried that version, so can’t comment.

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

I also notice that my lists are really messed up when i go to my profile page, look at Topics Started, etc. (and both look fine on twenty fifteen).

So I think both of these are using the base styles from twenty fifteen for their list, whereas the lists on Forum and Topic pages are using their own CSS. This seems…not ideal and they should share similar markup, no?

I will upload after lunch to share what’s going on. But I feel like all lists in bbpress should be based off of the same styles as the Forum and Topic lists.

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

Hi Robin W. – just want to say that thank you so much for all the responses and help you give to this community. Super inspiring.

I ended up just uploading the theme and putting up a little dummy content.

The two areas of note I mention, on the front page, http://jockjams.com, you can see below the blog post that what the shortcode out put on my page isn’t styled.

However, if you dig around at http://jockjams.com/forums/ or go to http://jockjams.com/forums/topic/do-the-nets-suck/, these look ok.

Another place where there is an issue is if you go to some of the lists on the profile page:

http://jockjams.com/forums/users/bobby/topics/

That is a good example. The list is THERE, you can see it when you inspect the page. Somehow the styling (or lack of) just pushed it way off to the side.

Both of these looked right in twenty fifteen, and I know for sure the shortcode worked on bbPress 2.5.14 from wordpress plugin repository, but not on bbPress 2.6 Release Candidate 5 that I downloaded from this form.

I guess those are all of the details. I would love to know why the styling worked on twenty fifteen, yet it doesn’t work on my theme, while the other two examples above are styled correctly along with my theme and are being properly targetted by bbpress css as well for the list styling.

Thoughts?

Sorry if this is beyond the scope of this forum. I use JointsWP.com btw as my starter theme.

Robin W

@robin-w

your theme (or maybe other plugin) is only loading bbpress.css on what it thinks are bbpress pages, and it is not treating the front page and profile as bbpress.

I don’t think bbpress 2.6 is doing that, but a quick flip to twentyfifteen would confirm, although I think you are saying you have already tested that above?

Do you have a plugin that is trying to minimise css loading or is your theme being too clever ?

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

@robin-w, thank you for the response. Nothing too clever going on! There is a 999 priority to enqueue the site’s css after plugin css, to over-ride things like some woocommerce styles, but that seems like pretty normal practice. I don’t think that’s it. The plugin styles still load, in this case, just first.

Besides, the shortcode worked when i originally used bbPress 2.5.14, and the when i switched to bbPress 2.6 Release Candidate 5, the styles stopped loading.

Hmmm….

They were both (local and server) clean installations, and only contain bbpress plugins right now. I didn’t copy the databases over.

And yes, they work as expected on twentyfifteen.

Stumped! ahhh. Ty again.

Robin W

@robin-w

so test results

2.6 on twenty fifteen – works
    2.5.14 on twenty fifteen – works

2.6 on your theme – doesn’t work
    2.5.14 on your theme – works

Above all correct ?

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

Test reply:

I’m getting

ERROR: Your reply cannot be created at this time.

to this thread.

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

Yes, correct! OMG, i recorded this…

I just hit save there with the shortcode on 2.5.14

At 20:05 if the video doesn’t load at the right time. Thanks again! You made me remember that I actually documented this so I don’t have to fire up a new wordpress instance to retest. I recorded every thing I’ve done so far on this bbpress installation.

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

And here is right after I install 2.6, babble about cryptocurrency for a bit, and then hit refresh. The forum page looked normal, then I look at the front page and notice the CSS isn’t formatting the shortcode.

(no need to watch that, but just for the sake of documenting the issue. time stamp for when i look at it at 5 minutes 2 seconds. Also sorry about curses! Don’t watch if offended by bad language. My apologies.).

Robin W

@robin-w

interesting…

so I can see in style editor that

the bbpress.min.css is not being loaded on the home page
    but bbpress.min.css IS being loaded on the bbpress page

can you confirm that with 2.6 under twenty fifteen it is loading the bbpress.min.css on the homepage?

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

It didn’t load the style for the shortcode on twentyfifteen either!

Image of css failing to load on twentyfifteen index.php w/ bbpress shortcode

Robin W

@robin-w

which shortcode are you calling ?

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

Robin W

@robin-w

I’ve found a trac ticket for this and logged this chat here

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3138

Robin W

@robin-w

Sorry, but I support live versions, so I’m reluctant to load RC code to my test site, so I’ll keep asking you to do stuff if that’s ok !

Can you create a page and put the shortcode in there – I want to test if that makes a difference over using code to call it.

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

Good call! And guess what, it works if I use the shortcode on a page via the wordpress backend.

bbpress Shortcode test

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, 2.6 is trying to just load on bbpress content pages, but obviously is missing those that use code.

I’ll update the trac ticket

Robin W

@robin-w

I’ve now set up a quick test site for 2.65c5 to validate

I can confirm that

doesn’t work but the shortcode on a page on it’s own does.

However your issue with profiles is a theme/bbpress one, it all works on my test site.

Can you try adding this to your themes css

#bbpress-forums ul.bbp-forums, #bbpress-forums ul.bbp-lead-topic, #bbpress-forums ul.bbp-replies, #bbpress-forums ul.bbp-search-results, #bbpress-forums ul.bbp-topics {
    	overflow: visible !important;
    	}

that seemed to fix it for your site, but I haven’t checked that it doesn’t create issues elsewhere !

TechHaus
    Participant

@thebeeobee

@robin-w, I owe you big time! Thank you. I will check to see if that causes any other issues on the site, but for now, it seems to have fixed it on my local site.

I guess for now I will rely on sidebar widgets for bringing the forum to the front page. Do you think I should attempt my own loop there instead of using the shortcode, or just wait a bit until the 2.6 officially comes out?

Thank you soooo much for looking into this for me.

Robin W

@robin-w

Not sure what to advise for best.

I’m not a bbpress author, so have no direct influence on code.

However I have 6 plugins that are sub-plugins to bbpress most of which have shortcodes that won’t display correctly under 2.6rc5.

I have asked the authors to reconsider restricting bbpress – the min file is only 32kb, so won’t affect load times to go on all pages – it is just downloaded once when the site is accessed.

If they decide to go as is, I will need to duplicate part or all of the bbpress.css file in my plugins, which means that someone using 3 of my plugins will get the same css downloaded 4 times – 3 by me and one by bbpress which is not good 🙂

So watch this space.

if you are deep into coding, you could just enqueue a copy of bbpress.css in your theme, or probably much easier just dump the contents of bbpress.css into your theme’s css – that will fix it.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar