Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbBlog 2.0 (plugin)

• Maurice

@mauricederegt

I’ve finally finished bbBlog 2.0. This plugin adds a blog page to you bbPress forum, using posts from a forum category, specified by you. (For those wanting to do some simple blogging without the WordPress installation hassle…)

You can download it here:

http://www.bbportal.org/bb-downloads/bb-blog2.0.zip

Demo:

http://www.bbportal.org/mssp/view.php?view=blog

Features:

– Total rewrite of the bbBlog plugin (1.0 compatible)

– Now a link to the blog is created under the “Views list” at the front-page (forum index)

– The blog items are now correctly filtering bold text, hyperlinks, smilies, etc (thanks _ck_)

– Comments() link now goes to the first comment made (thanks _ck_)

– You can now prevent members and guests to start blog posts (they can still reply)

– Now also showing topic tags

– Added sticky support: Topics marked as sticky now show on top on the blog page

– Admin display redesigned to match bbPress 1.0 admin area

– Blog post date uses the same Date Format as set in: Admin -> Settings -> General -> Date Format

– Now shows blog main category no subforums yet)

– Now pre-loads the selected (blog) forum in the dropdownlistbox in the admin area (thanks Ben L.)

To do:

– Set as start page, can be done by htcacces, how does WP do this?

– Generate a nicer error message when there are no topics in the blog like: “No blog started yet”

– Show some confirmation when settings are saved (this is broken in 1.0)

– Add pagination

– A “Read more” functionality. Show a Read more link after an amount of words set in the admin

– Add: You are not allowed to create new topics (like when locked topics)

– Sub category support (admin option?)

– Separate tags with commas

Enjoy!

ps: I am NO programmer, so don’t expect much support. Code suggestions and help (esp. with Read more and pagination) are welcome.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• grassrootspa

@grassrootspa

This is so awesome. Way to go Maurice.

buddha-trance

@buddha-trance

Great idea, thumbs up!!!

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

This ia a great plugin! Thank you very much!

I did have to make quite a lot of edits to get it to display correctly, but I’m sure most will – depending on the theme they’re using.

I’ve been looking for this for a long time. :) Kudos!

The theme you’re using is a very hard one, so you could expect problems :P]

And thanks to you for releasing this plugin, make sure to get in the directory!

https://bbpress.org/plugins/forum/requests

Very nice plugin and idea ;)

Thanks a lot!

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

Great work! I needed to display last messages at frong page and you plugin makes this!

Maurice

@mauricederegt

Thanks for the great replies.

At the moment, I am kinda in doubt if I should continue developing this plugin or not. Since bbPress is going to be a WordPress plugin, it would make this plugin kinda useless? Or not?

grassrootspa

@grassrootspa

@Maurice:

lol, have been pondering the same thing. The decision to require WordPress to run bbPress is also making me rethink my various bbPress project ideas…

chandersbs

@chandersbs

@Maurice i checked your plugin, I like the idea, but I didn’t see what was making the use of this plugin beneficial.

I do really wish bbPress will become a plugin soon, in that case, 1 billion WP plugins will be available to our use instantly.

r-a-y
    Participant

@r-a-y

bbPress, the WP plugin, is coming… not soon, but it’s coming.

eduardosilva
    Participant

@eduardosilva

When the “bbPress plugin for wordpress” arrives, I will have the choice to keep using bbpress as standalone product or I will be forced to migrate to wordpress + bbpress??

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You will always have the code you have right now, which is standalone. The old version will always be available. (I know nothing is forever, but if you want a copy of the standalone version, grab it now to ensure you have it.) It might not keep up with developments, but you’d at least have a version to use. Barring any security problems, I don’t see why you couldn’t just keep using that.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar