Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bb-attachments problems

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • According to my set up the folder has to be one level above the bbpress folder. You have it on the same level as the bbpress folder.

Steven Hodson
    Participant

@stevenhodson

@gerikg – tried that also previously but repeated just now – folder position: http://screencast.com/t/NTFjNDFlM2Ut

post status: http://screencast.com/t/MzlhZmIwZ

as you can see something isn’t working right and be damned if I can figure it which means it is probably something really head smacking simple

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

It might have something to do with the path and forward or backslashes, since it is Windows.

Did you try the debug stuff listed at ashfame’s page? specifically ?bb_attachments_debug to find the path?

Here is something recent about problems with the path and plugins on Windows servers:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/error-activation-plugin#post-62287

and the next post for the resolution.

Steven Hodson
    Participant

@stevenhodson

@chrishajer I am pretty sure that it has to do with pathing but to be honest I tried the suggested debug but no combination of URLs I tried had any effects .. so suggestions would be more than welcome

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

What version of bbPress are you using?

Steven Hodson
    Participant

@stevenhodson

@citizenkeith – the newest one available for download (let me check — 1.0.2)

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Do you have access to error logs at all? Do you know if it’s being stored, just somewhere else, or not able to write, or not able to retrieve?

Steven Hodson
    Participant

@stevenhodson

@chrishajer – I’ll have to check on the logs but regarding the rest Chrome indicates the files are being uploaded but nothing is showing up in the attachment folder (regardless of what level I put it at). IT shows up as an entry in the bb-attachment DB table but that is it. The actual file seems to have disappeared into the ether

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Sounds like it cannot write the file. Maybe permissions, maybe a path problem. Access to logs would be nice :-)

Steven Hodson
    Participant

@stevenhodson

@chrishajer This is on a WinServer and the permissions aren’t a problem. Luckily my host is also a good friend so he’ll definitely be able to point me to any logs as well as point him to this thread as his direct involvement in the conversation might help.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

bbPress Attachments is only compatible up to version 0.9 of bbPress.

Steven Hodson
    Participant

@stevenhodson

@citizenkeith I realize that is what is stated but I’ve had really good luck with a slew of plugins that are suppose to be to snuff for 1.0.2 so I was really hoping that this one would be as well.

If it is truly an incompatiblity problem is any plugin ninjas out there going to take up the plugin and update it? This is actually a pretty important option for users if you want to be able to be on par with other existing forum packages

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

That’s the problem with most of the plugins here (especially those written by _ck_)… they work great with 0.9 but not with 1.x. This is the main reason I’ve stuck with 0.9 for my main forum. Until plugins are updated or new ones written, they can’t be used with 1.0.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

It would be nice to know what it is about the plugin that makes it not work with 1.0. Maybe it would work, and the problem is something else.

What would be the best practice for looking at a plugin that was written for 0.9 to see if it would work with 1.0? Make sure all the functions in use are still present from one version to the next?

I’m just talking in general, not about this plugin specifically. What sort of environment would you need, to debug? A PHP environment with errors logged or shown?

Steven Hodson
    Participant

@stevenhodson

@chrishajer I have been talking with Nightgunner5 in IRC and from what I understand at this point he is taking a look at the plugin to see what is what.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

I can’t find what’s wrong with it. The code is set to automatically make the folder when it needs it, so you shouldn’t have to worry about it unless your document root’s parent directory (which should technically be the folder above wwwroot) isn’t writable to your server. The quickest way to fix that is to make a bb-attachments folder in there and set its permissions to 777.

Also: Replace bb_register_activation_hook(str_replace(array(str_replace("/","\\",BB_PLUGIN_DIR),str_replace("/","\\",BB_CORE_PLUGIN_DIR)),array("user#","core#"),__FILE__), 'bb_attachments_install'); with bb_register_activation_hook( __FILE__, 'bb_attachments_install' ); to fix the database problem.

Steven Hodson
    Participant

@stevenhodson

@Ben L … this is maddening because I know from your testing that it works fine. I also had my host get the guys at his data center run some tests (he’s also a good friend which helps) but they come back with this

Two of the engineers at the data center have run tests and looked at the logs and they have ruled any server side issues.

This is what they said in conclusion

At this point, I believe we can safely exclude obvious server side problems… If your customer has some concerns about missing .php modules, etc. (which they may confirm by creating a phpinfo page) we’ll be happy to address this, but so far we’re still not seeing a server side problem…

It is possible that the add-on may require more php modules installed but I would need to know more to go further

So I am at a real loss to figure out where to go next to try getting this to work. Very frustrating to say the least

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Still no logs to see what’s happening?

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar