Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

backticks doesn’t work, term is not intuitive to forum users

• I am the admin for a new bbpress forum. First, I cannot get backticks to work. Maybe I’m interpreting the word incorrectly, but when I try to use backticks, like this…

‘strong’bold this’strong’…or ‘strong’bold this’/strong’

it doesn’t bold the word. Please help. Note: When I try traditional tags, like bold this, it works fine. But I want to make it work with backticks since that’s what the help content on the post screen references.

Why can’t the phrasing for the instructions be more specific, like giving an example? And why can’t bbpress just use the word that everyone knows, like ‘single apostrophe’?

Secondly, most people don’t know what an ‘a’ is, or some of the other terms. This backtick content that comes with bbpress is not intuitive for the average person who doesn’t use forums that often. It would be great if there was link to a help file so the user can be shown how to construct backticks with some of the tags displayed like ul, li, img, etc.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

A backtick is not an apostrophe or single quote, it’s the key that normally has a tilde in it as well. Check this picture, it’s the upper left key, in red. That’s a backtick and it’s different than a normal single quote or apostrophe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:KB_US-International.svg

For the terminology regarding HTML, you can easily add additional instructions for your users. The files you need to modify are in your template directory and called edit-form.php and post-form.php. You can link to a popup with additional instructions (which you would need to create for your users), or just add more verbose instructions there. It’s your forum: you can do whatever you want.

Also, even if your users don’t get it, they can still post. Things that look like links become links automatically, and the post will still be useful without italics and bold.

But, for backticks, you’re using the wrong key. It’s not the quote key, look on the upper left by the ESC key (on a US keyboard anyway.)

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar