Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

ASCII characters in email notifications

• redkite
    Participant

@redkite

I’m using the fancy editor (via the bbPress Enable TinyMCE Visual Tab plugin) and in notification emails we get characters like:

<p>Hello, this is a reply to the test.</p>

Is there a way to either send HTML-formatted emails from bbPress, or to strip out these characters and still use the fancy editor?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• redkite
    Participant

@redkite

Ack – that’s not right. Here’s what it looks like in the email:

<p>Hello, this is a reply to the test.</p>

I’m using the latest versions of both WordPress and bbPress.

redkite
    Participant

@redkite

Okay – still not working. Instead of the p tag, which should not be there anyway, I see <p@gt; in the email.

I’ll post an image too:

http://redkitecreative.com/bbpress.jpg

Hmm, I’m not sure what’s going on. The upcoming 2.3.2 release will have a fix for the editor issues, but I can’t say if that will the email notification problems or not.

redkite
    Participant

@redkite

Okay, we’ll see what happens then and probably remove the editor plugin for now.

Killerrabbit2
    Participant

@killerrabbit2

Some issue here @redkite. Any resolutions on your end?

Fidgety Lizard
    Participant

@fliz

There are (at least) a couple of tickets on this in the bbPress trac, no. 2722 and no. 2865.

No. 2865 has a patch marked “under consideration”. In case it helps anybody, I’ve wrapped this patch as a plugin for bbPress 2.5.8:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/fix-forum-emails/

This should help to fix problems with HTML entities in notification emails on vanilla bbPress installs. It’s intended as a workaround until the issue gets fixed in bbPress core.

The plugin won’t remove stray HTML / CSS in forum posts. Rogue markup like this can be caused by cut-and-paste operations in TinyMCE, aka the Visual Editor, if you have it enabled in bbPress. If you’re having these problems, we have another free plugin called “Forum Beginner Posts” in the repository. It enables TinyMCE for bbPress in paste-as-text mode by default.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar