Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Allow Users to Edit Posts Indefinitely

• I have some very neat users who like to edit their posts when they make spelling/grammar errors. But bbPress will only allow them to edit until a specified time is up. Is there a way that I can set the time limit to none or something like that? If not, is there anything bad about setting the limit to something like 999999?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

The keymaster can always go in and edit any post. Your users could email any corrections to the keymaster. You don’t really want people going in and changing their words. With no limit, you have no control over the edits they can actually make and they would not be limited to grammar or spelling.

Did you try making any changes to the $bb->edit_lock in the config and see the effect? 1440 is one day worth of minutes and 525600 is a year worth of minutes. I doubt there is any problem making a change like that, but you would need to try it to be sure. I just tried 525600 and I was able to edit some of my old (non-keymaster) posts.

I wonder if -1 would allow them to be edited infinitely? Worth a try…

I haven’t tried “-1” as the definition, but I was thinking the same thing :)

Trent

I’ll try -1 and see what happens. I was only wary of putting in a large value because I didn’t know if there was some database table or variable that was just going to get larger when I changed the number.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Try it and see what happens? What’s the worst possible outcome from experimenting?

I figured somebody had to do it. I had a backup, so I thought I’d go for it. Nothing’s fallen on my head since I did it. Still testing, I’ll tell you the outcome once I’m done testing it.

Edit: The member who asked to be allowed to change her grammar errors just thanked me for fixing to edit link, so I suppose it’s working now.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar