Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Allow Edit/Change Username

• circulartrend

@circulartrend

Hey there,

Currently running 0.9.4 of BBPress and the installation was from several months ago before the new update. However I would like to avoid having to update BBpress to the new version as mine is linked with Word Press. Would there be an issue if I upgraded BBPress with WP linked with it, without updating Word Press?

Anyway, the forum was originally a different forum and alot of users lost their original usernames and it defaulted to their original username. The users want to be able to change their usernames back to what they were before without loosing all the posts linked to them. So is the only way to do that to upgrade BBPress? or go in manually and change it in the database?? There are alot of users that need their names changed.

Thanks,

Adam

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Is it urgent to upgrade to bbPress 1.0? I’m still on 0.9 – with all my plugins, I’m not really gonna consider an upgrade until early next year.

If your bbPress is working and you’re happy with how things are going, then there’s no need to upgrade!

circulartrend

@circulartrend

I know, I just heard the new one allows for users to update their usernames to anything they want, as many times as they want. Some see it as a problem, but alot of users want to change their names. It was convert from pmachine to bbpress and usernames got changed.

As I understand it, bbPress 1.0 supports “display names”… where you can have the name displayed be different from your actual username. Is that what you mean?

There’s an old plugin that lets you add display names to earlier versions of bbPress… but it requires a little hacking to get it to work:

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/display-name/

Maybe you could clean it up and use it for 0.9?

circulartrend

@circulartrend

Hm, thats what I thought. I was hoping they would have added in a plugin where users could change their own name like in 1.0 of bbPress. I think I installed that one you linked me, but it didnt do anything. :)

circulartrend

@circulartrend

Does anyone know how to manually edit the usernames in the database?? Help!? Please? :) Thank you. NM I figured out how to manually edit them via the sql database. Thanks.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar