Categories
Search
Bottom

Adding to menu bar

• howlinghunter
    Participant

@howlinghunter

Hi,

I’m using an Avada theme and I’m having problems with adding my own forums to the Forum menu dropdown. The theme has a handful of forums set up, so that when bbpress is activated they appear in the forums section.

The problem I’m having is I want to add my own forums and have them appear in the dropdown list, but I can’t see how this is done.

Creating forums is fine, as well as adding a master forum and adding sub forums to it is ok. When I go to the main Menu and try to add them there I can’t see them listed. I have no idea how they get added.

I’ve tried deleting a couple of the sample forums to see what happens and to see if I can work it out. No go. They disappear from the dropdown list and are greyed out when I go to the main Menu. I removed a forum from the Menu list to see if it appeared on the left hand side, nothing.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• howlinghunter
    Participant

@howlinghunter

Sorry, forget to mention something else.

If I simply click on the Forum link in the menu bar it takes me to a landing page and all the forums are listed there, even the ones I’ve created. It’s just the option to add my new Forums to the dropdown list which is the problem.

Robin W

@robin-w

this sound like a theme issue.

do you have a link to whatever this ‘dropdown’ is?

howlinghunter
    Participant

@howlinghunter

Sorry I don’t have a link as I’m working on it locally. I have done some screen shots but have no where to post them at the moment. Will try and describe it better.

So if you load up the site you would see the following menu items along the top:

Home | Manuals | Blog | Forums | Contact Us | Log In | List Your Password | Join Us

If you put your mouse over the Forums link you would see:

Home | Manuals | Blog | Forums | Contact Us | Log In | List Your Password | Join Us
    Apple
    Android
    Microsoft
    Apps & Software
    Gadgets & Stuff

These are the forums that were there when I activated the bbpress plugin and are part of the Avada demo site. The ones that I have created aren’t listed.

If I click Forums and go to the Forums landing page I see the forums I created and the demo ones.

So if I then go into the Menu appearance page I can see the demo forums listed under the Menu Structure section. I can’t see how they were added. There is nothing under Pages, Posts, Custom Links or Categories, which means I can’t even back track to see how it was done. As I mentioned before, even if I remove a forum entry from under Menu Structure section nothing then appears on the left so I can re-add it.

Does that make more sense?

Robin W

@robin-w

I suspect they are just links in a menu.

go back into

dashboard>appearance>menus

where they appear in the menu’s against each item on the right you should see words like ‘page’ ‘posts’ ‘category’ ‘custom link’ etc.

what do the forums have against them?

howlinghunter
    Participant

@howlinghunter

They show as ‘Forum’ which is why I was expecting something to be on the left that I could choose them from.

Would it be something to do with the page called Forums? I made a new page and called it Test Forum and added it to the menu bar. I then moved a couple of the demo forums to below it. Saved and refreshed. The moved forums show below the new menu item ‘Test Forums’, but unlike the original ‘Forums’ link, if you click on it you don’t get a landing page. I’ve had a look at the Forums page and can’t see anything different there compared to any other page.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, I don’t have avada, but have a look on the bottom left of the appearance>menus page and see if there is an option under any of the items there to add a forum

then come back

howlinghunter
    Participant

@howlinghunter

Ok. Tried something else. I activated the bbpress plugin on a new site that is hosted on a remote server and there is now a Forums option on the Menu Appearance page. It’s either this or a registration issue.

Robin W

@robin-w

good, so you are making progress

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar