Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Add bbp_notify_forum_subscribers to bbp_approved_topic

• strike3
    Participant

@strike3

When a new topic goes to moderation and is approved, some, but not all, of the regular new topic actions take place. One thing that does not seem to happen is sending out the new topic notification email. If possible, can the bbp_notify_forum_subscribers action be added when a forum topic is approved by a moderator (after checking to make sure notifications are enabled)? The new topic notifications are a great way to drive visitors to our forums, so this is turning into an issue on our site. The site owners want to be able to moderate most (or even all) of the new topics, but then no notification emails are sent out.

If this is something I should try to figure out on my own, please let me know and I’ll give it a shot. I didn’t want to mess with the bbpress core code since it would get overridden on the next update.

Thanks!

Matt

Wordpress Version: 4.7.8
    BBPress Version: 2.5.14

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

what plugins other than bbpress are you using?

strike3
    Participant

@strike3

Hi,
    Here are the ones that are tied to email/Buddypress/BBPress. I’m wondering–do new topic notifications work for approved topics on a clean BBPress install? I don’t think I can disable many plugins on this site since it’s getting a lot of traffic, but I could probably test it out on a different live site. I think it would have to be a live site or at least have an SMTP provider set up for the notification emails to go out.

Plugins
    1. Buddypress

2. AsynCRONous bbPress Subscriptions (added because the default method of BCC’ing all subscribers created too many recipients for our SMTP provider)

3. bbP Toolkit

4. BP Profile Search

5. BBPress Moderation Tools (allows us to put all new topics into moderation, seems to use default BBPress actions for moderation)

6. Fix Forum Emails (fixes issue where HTML tags/entities show up in notification emails: https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2865)

7. WordPress Mail Queue (queues/chunks all mail from wp_mail so we don’t go over SMTP provider limits)

8. Wordfence Security

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, the issue is I suspect with the moderation tools plugin.

I haven’t opened that one up to see what it does, and I see you have posted the issue on their support forum to see if they can help.

suspect it would be beyond free help to look at issues between the two. If you like contact me via http://www.rewweb.co.uk

strike3
    Participant

@strike3

Thanks! I’ll take a look at it and send you a message if I can’t figure it out. It looks like the plugin authors haven’t replied in a while on their forum.

Matt

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, come back and let us know

strike3
    Participant

@strike3

Hi Robin,
    Sorry for the late reply. I had a health issue that set me back a few weeks. I did some testing on a vanilla WordPress install this morning, and it looks like this issue affects standard BBPress as well. Here’s what I did:

1.) Set up a local WordPress installation. Added Buddypress, BBPress and WP Mail Logging as the only plugins (latest versions on everything).
    2.) Created several users and a forum. Logged in with each user account and subscribed it to the forum.
    3.) Went to Settings->Discussion from the WP Dashboard and set it to hold a comment in the moderation queue if it has one or more hyperlinks
    4.) Created a new topic that had no hyperlinks (i.e., did not go to moderation). WP Mail Logging showed that a new topic notification was sent and all subscribed users were BCC’d on the email.
    5.) Created a new topic with a hyperlink. The topic went to moderation.
    6.) Approved/published the topic with an admin account. No new topic notification email was sent.

Another issue is that new topics that are added directly from the Dashboard (i.e., by going to Dashboard->Topics->New Topics) also did not generate a new topic notification. The moderation approvals have to be done from the backend/Dashboard, so maybe these two issue are related?

Thanks again for your help with this! The moderation plugin author finally did get back to me and said they’ve added the issue to their backlog, but now I’m wondering if this is something that should be fixed in standard BBPress?

If necessary, the site owner I’m working said they might be willing to pay directly to get this issue fixed. However, their company is a small non-profit, so they probably won’t have a lot of extra funds for this sort of thing.

Matt

strike3
    Participant

@strike3

So, the developer for the moderation plugin provided a fix for this (you can see it here: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/moderated-topics-dont-send-new-topic-notifications-on-approval/). Their plugin adds a front-end option for managing topics, so this works through the front-end. They mentioned that it could also work through the back-end/Dashboard by using “transition_post_status”. Anyway, thanks again for your feedback and help with this.

Matt

Robin W

@robin-w

@strike3 -sincere apologies for not getting back to you – your response slipped through the net.

Glad you are fixed, and thanks for posting the link

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar