Categories
Search
Bottom

Add forum description to forums index

• Chuck
    Participant

@chuckstr

Hi,
    I’m trying to add the forum’s description to be under the forum title on the page-front-forums (index) page. Just like it displays on the single-forum page. Could someone please show me the proper code?

I’ve already changed the css .bbp-forums-list li to “display: block;”

Thank you!
    Chuck S.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I just added a new page called “forums” and put the text there.
    then put the forums index shortcode (bbp-forum-index put in square brackets) after it

or is this not your problem?

Chuck
    Participant

@chuckstr

Hi Robin,
    Thanks for the reply. In addition to as you have described, I would like the forum description to appear under each forum title within the index page in block display.
    Chuck S.

oweniverson
    Participant

@oweniverson

i have the same question. it seems there are many topics on this but no resolution.

i have a Page (Forums) where i put the text description for the Index List of Forums (“Here are a bunch of Forums!”) followed by the index [bbp-forum-index]. that works fine.

now, if i click a single forum (“Forum 1”) in the index list, i only get the Forum Title, but not the description i entered into the text field when i created the forum. should i be making a Page for each single forum?

i suspect there’s a conflict with a plugin. i deactivated all but bbPress, cleared my browser cache, and force-refreshed the page and still nothing.

FWIW, my plug-ins are:
    bbPress
    Custom Meta Widget
    jonradio Private Site
    NextGEN Gallery by Photocrati
    Peter’s Login Redirect
    TablePress
    The Events Calendar

any know issues with these??

Robin W

@robin-w

I’ve just added the code I think you’re after to the documentation viz

Layout and functionality – Examples you can use

Come back if that’s not what either of you were after !

oweniverson
    Participant

@oweniverson

Thanks Robin! That was exactly what i was looking for. Any thoughts why my Description line might be indented, rather than left justified as your example shows?

oweniverson
    Participant

@oweniverson

i’m not a developer by any means, but this seems to work (there’s probably a better way 🙂
    in my bbpress.css file here “wp-content\plugins\bbpress\templates\default\css”
    i just broke out “div.bbp-forum-content” from this:

#bbpress-forums div.bbp-forum-content,
    #bbpress-forums div.bbp-topic-content,
    #bbpress-forums div.bbp-reply-content {
    	margin-left: 130px;
    	padding: 12px 12px 12px 0;
    	text-align: left;
    }

to this:

#bbpress-forums div.bbp-forum-content {
    	margin-left: 0px;
    }

#bbpress-forums div.bbp-topic-content,
    #bbpress-forums div.bbp-reply-content {
    	margin-left: 130px;
    }

and set that left margin to 0 px rather than 130.
    let me know if there’s a better or more elegant way!

Robin W

@robin-w

elegant – depends !

If you simply alter this file then on any bbpress version update you’ll lose the changes, so make a note of them.

There are alternatives

1. Add the css styling change to the style.css file within your child theme.

If you have a child theme, then this is ideal, as neither plugin nor theme update will affect your change. Simply add the code below to your style.css

/*Styling for forum description */
    #bbpress-forums div.bbp-forum-content {
    clear:both !important;
    margin-left: 0px !important;
    padding: 0 0 0 0 !important;
    	}

2. If you only have a main theme, then consider using a child theme – it’s quick and easy to create one, basically it’s just a theme that you create that says “use this main theme, but then add these bits”. Google child theme video and you’ll get loads of help.

3. Add this to the style.css in your main theme
    But you’ll need to keep a note of it for theme upgrades, so this is really no better than changing in the bbPress template, and neater to do it in bbPress than your theme

4. Make a directory called css in your theme (either child or main) and copy the bbpress.css file into it. Then make changes there. this then won’t be overwritten on upgrades, but you will not get the benefit of changes to the default bbpress.css that may be in upgrades.

Overall 1. is by far the best choice, as you keep the code no matter what happens. Otherwise keep a note of your changes (which are fine, and are what I did to test prior to putting the end result in my style.css), so that you can replicate them on upgrades.

oweniverson
    Participant

@oweniverson

i do have a child theme, but it didn’t even occur to me (only been into this WordPress thing for about a week).

thanks for being so responsive!

Robin W

@robin-w

great – no problem !

germars
    Participant

@germars

This is a great way to fix the issue of the descriptions in the individual forums (but why offer it if they don’t show up anywhere, bbPress? Could this be on a wish list?).

Does anyone know how to add a qualifier for Safari? It looks fine in IE, Chrome and Mozilla, but not Safari (and of course, my clients use that). It doesn’t line up as nicely.

Thanks!

Robin W

@robin-w

Can you give us a screen shot of IE and one of safari – just saves me loading this code (so I can help others as well as you) , so I can quickly see the difference

lisigef
    Participant

@lisigef

I copied the code in https://codex.bbpress.org/layout-and-functionality-examples-you-can-use/#16-adding-description-to-forum-pages but there seems to be a problem with it and I’m just getting a blank page when I try to view the forum (When I comment out the code, the page shows up again, but of course without the description).

I added the code to functions.php – is it supposed to go somewhere else? IS there some update needed to this code, given that it is a year later?

Thanks in advance!

Robin W

@robin-w

the code should still work.

Try

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-style-pack/

there is a setting in forum display that should do the same function

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar