Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

502 on new topic/reply submission

• websmyth
    Participant

@websmyth

We’ve been experiencing an email issue on a bbPress forum for a while. The forum is setup to notify all users (around 700) of new topics and replies and uses the bbPress No Spam plugin to handle this.

We’ve performed lots of troubleshooting and, after having spoken to WPEngine, have narrowed it down to the email causing a timeout on submission of a new topic or reply. The site uses Mailgun which was installed by the previous developer in order to try and tackle this issue, but it looks like the timeout is being triggered before the emails are hooked up to Mailgun so it doesn’t look like changing the Mailgun configuration would solve the issue either.

WPEngine have suggested that we might need to throttle the email batches from bbPress as that might prevent the timeout. I’ve been searching for a plugin that might do this but I’ve only found generic WordPress mail plugins and it seems this is more bbPress specific.

Has anyone come across this issue and found a way to resolve it?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• websmyth
    Participant

@websmyth

Bump!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

We’ve changed the email address gathering & sending methods in bbPress 2.6 to try and accommodate bigger sets of users. You could try upgrading your forums to the latest 2.6 release candidate, and see if it makes a difference.

websmyth
    Participant

@websmyth

Ah, fantastic – I’ll give that a go…

websmyth
    Participant

@websmyth

Unfortunately that hasn’t fixed it…hmmm!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

:/ bummer. Sorry about that.

If you or the fine folks over at WPE can drop a hint at what’s timing out where, we can probably tune it a bit more.

websmyth
    Participant

@websmyth

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay…further testing has revealed it’s the Mailgun plugin causing the 502… Argh!

Dave

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Thanks for the reply!

I’ve made another tweak to the way subscription emails are sent, hoping to make this work a little bit more efficiently.

See: https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/6725

We could probably improve this a bit more still, by letting plugins like Mailgun replace the email sending process completely with their own. Sending emails en-masse is neither easy nor super fast, so however we can make this better in bbPress, we should be!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@websmyth Also fixed a bug I just found with it in r6727.

websmyth
    Participant

@websmyth

Great, thanks John! Waiting for a response from Mailgun now… In some ways it would be much better if we could scrap that integration altogether, but I think we’ll still be hitting email limits very quickly without it.

Dave

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar