Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

404 Only for Subscribers – Not admin

• gabekassel
    Participant

@gabekassel

I’m using a membership plugin (wishlist member) to control content access on my site.

I setup bbpress and can access both the forum/topic and within topic level as admin

As a subscriber, I can only access the topic listing but can’t click into any topics – get 404

All content protection within wishlist member is off for the forums..but I’m still seeing the issue.

I sense it’s something to do with permalinks/htaccess…but not quite sure.

Any suggestions?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

More likely it’s to do with the Wishlist plugin not obeying bbPress’s mapped capabilities. I’ve seen this come up a few times. You’ll want to trouble-shoot by looking at the capabilities that a subscriber has, and making sure they have the proper bbPress ones.

gabekassel
    Participant

@gabekassel

thanks triple-J.

I manually set one of my “subscriber” level users to “forum participent” and still no luck

is there a way to see the listing of all “capabilities” on the back-end for a user role level?

i’ve seen them listed in drop downs, but can’t recall where to access them and get granular with it.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Unsure if there is a way in the UI to see it. You should be able to log in as a subscriber and then start debugging that users role and capabilities. You could install/use the Debug Bar and Debug Bar Console plugins to allow you to safely play with WordPress functions and variables; otherwise you’re left to cowboy coding and var_dump’ing things out so you can see them.

You can also try out the “Members” plugn by Justin Tadlock. I believe it comes with a UI that allows you to map capabilities to each role. Unsure how well it plays with other permissions plugins like Wishlist though.

gabekassel
    Participant

@gabekassel

all i see in console on all pages that seems pertinent is following. any meaning?

Notice: wp_register_style was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or init hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /home/optccpco/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3587

WishList Member Bug. Please file a report at WishList Products Support
    Run-time warning
    Error: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/optccpco/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php:3587)
    Location: /home/optccpco/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wishlist-member/wpm.php(35) : eval()'d code(3) : eval()'d code line number 148

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/optccpco/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php:3587) in /home/optccpco/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wishlist-member/wpm.php(35) : eval()'d code(3) : eval()'d code on line 148

gabekassel
    Participant

@gabekassel

just an update – i was able to fix this by deleting and recreating each forum AFTER i turned off the “prefix forum area with the forum base slug” setting

not sure why this would matter, but made a huge difference

JimFitzsimons

@jimfitzsimons

I’m also experiencing this problem. Having installed the bbPress plugin (2.02) on my WordPress site, I’ve managed to get almost everything working. However, when I try to view a User Profile (http://site_url/users/username) I get a 404 error – but only for ‘Forum Participant’ members (not admins).

I do not have any other membership plugins installed. It happens for members created without spaces in their usernames (which was one suggestion), and it happens even if I switch off the “prefix forum area with forum base slug” and recreate the forum, as suggested here.

Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: one other point, and it’s an odd one, even though the page shows a 404 error in the headers, it displays fine in Chrome and Opera. However, it does not initially display in Internet Explorer 9 and shows a browser 404 page, but it does show up after two refreshes (though not 1). Go figure.

sinkingfast

@sinkingfast

I get a similar problem after installing 2.02. Works fine except other people who click on the forum get 404. The other people aren’t members, the forum is setup for members only, but I can’t get Word Press to automatically prompt visitors to sign up as members

JimFitzsimons

@jimfitzsimons

Bump. I’m going to refresh this topic once in the hope that someone can help (with my query, above). If not, with regret, I’m going to have to abandon bbPress and try some other forum plugin. bbPress does almost everything I want it to, but obviously the 404 error for user profiles makes it unusable.

Anyone?

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

You might have already done this, but if not:

1. Disable ALL plugins except bbPress.

2. Go to Settings > Permalinks so a permalink flush is triggered.

3. Try going to a user profile.

You don’t have a post or page with the slug users by chance, do you?

JimFitzsimons

@jimfitzsimons

Thanks for the response jaredatch, but I’m afraid it doesn’t work. I’d done it before, but I just tried again to be sure. I disabled all plugins (aside from bbPress) and refreshed the permalink structure. Still no dice.

I don’t have a post or page with “users” as the slug. Just to be sure I went into the forum settings and changed the ‘User base’ to something else (“userxyzwq” – definitely nothing else on the site called that!) and it still threw a 404. Changed it back, the same. Switched off the ‘Forum Prefix’ as someone suggested, and still the same.

Very frustrating as I spent a good while getting everything else working. And, as I say, even though the 404 status is being returned in the header, the page still appears in most browsers… which is confusing the hell out of me.

And sadly it’s not something I can just live with, as “most browsers” isn’t good enough for this project.

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

Two other things to try:

Turn on WP_DEBUG in yout wp-config.php (https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG)

Change to TwentyTen/TwentlyEleven to eliminate any issues that are with your theme.

thoughtbludgeon

@thoughtbludgeon

Has anyone found a solution to this? I am experiencing the same issue – I can see the admin user page, but all other users give me a 404.

jimsims
    Participant

@jimsims

I had the same problem, just unchecked the (recommended – NOT!) ‘slug’ box and now it works fine

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar