Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

403 Error when editing Pages and Posts in WordPress

• bricktram
    Participant

@bricktram

I have copied this across from the WordPress support site on the suggestion of someone on there due to the problem only developing after trying to install bbPress on the website I manage.

“I have recently been adding a members only area to a website that I manage and have so far not had any problems until I tried adding a forum. I don’t know if it is plugin related for the problem to come about, but disabling the plugins to see if one of them is causing the problem doesn’t seem to fix it.

When I try to edit some pages or posts that have already been published, I sometimes get a ‘403 Forbidden, Access to this resource on the server is denied!’ error when I click on the ‘Preview Changes’ or ‘Update’ button. I only get this with certain posts or pages. I have tried to re-create the same pages that get the error from scratch, and have found that the error only happens when I include a link that opens in a new tab.

The existing version of the posts and pages are working fine, and I can edit everything okay. I just can’t preview or publish any post or page that includes a link that opens in a new tab.

I use the ‘Classic Editor’ plugin for editing posts and pages. I also have the ‘s2Member Framework’ plugin for the members only areas. This problem seems to have come about today after installing the ‘bbPress’ plugin to add a forum to the site.

The last time a post was successfully published with a link that opens in a new tab was on the 31st May and the only change I have made since then is installing the ‘bbPress’ plugin this morning (13th June).

I’ve tried looking at various troubleshooting suggestions, but none of them seem to fix it.

Edit: Since posting the above, I’ve been looking at some of the other posts and pages and it seems I can no longer see a pattern to which ones I can edit and which I can’t. I had thought it was something to do with the code for opening links in new tabs or windows due what I mentioned above. Now I can’t see any obvious similarity between which ones I can and which I can’t edit.

Thanks in advance for any help.”

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

ok, my initial suggestion would be to deactivate bbpress and see if that fixes.

After that I do the usual troubleshooting :

it could be a theme or plugin issue

Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwenty, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

If you cannot do this to your site (say because it is live) then use the ‘troubleshooting’ features of this plugin to let you test without affecting other users

Health Check & Troubleshooting

Then come back

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar