Categories
Search
Bottom

100 is limit for email notifications

• haddly
    Participant

@haddly

Hi there,
    I recently discovered that there is a limit set on our server of 100 emails being sent out at one time.
    Some of our forums have more than 100 subscribers, which means that not all are getting notifications when something new is posted.
    Is there a way to set up batches, so that e.g. 50 go out and then 50 again in 10 mins etc until the full list of emails have been covered?
    btw, I am using the AsynCRONous bbPress Subscriptions plugin

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

ummm…. AsynCRONous bbPress Subscriptions changes from bbpress one email and bcc to send lots of single emails, so you have moved to the system that your server doesn’t like.

Email providers stopping lots of emails is why bbpress moved to a single email with bcc, although now many email providers are stopping that, so it’s really hard to know what to do.

code to send in sets would be complicated

haddly
    Participant

@haddly

For some reason, emails weren’t being sent out to subscribed users when a new forum post was posted. When i started using Asychronous they started working.
    I wrote to the plugin author as well (today), and he has advised to use an email queueing plugin (due to the fact it calls the wp_mail() function. And then use the queueing plugin to set a number less than 100 with an interval.
    I will try his advice, but unfortunately there are 2 plugins i found, both of which haven’t been updated in 3 years such as: https://wordpress.org/plugins/smtp-mailing-queue/

Antipole
    Participant

@antipole

My site has been suspended by my ISP twice in the last couple of days for ‘malicious activity’, which turns out to be breaching their new limit of 10 addressees per email. (Most of my forums currently have 123 subscribers.)

I have had to disable the sending emails for new topics entirely, until I have a solution.

Breaking up these emails is pretty essential as most ISPs are now imposing some limit on the number of addressees, although my ISPs limit of 10 must one of the lowest.

I have no indication that bbPress is going to address this, so I may have to develop something myself. In this thread a couple of approaches are mentioned. But before I start digging in to bbPress core, does anyone have any suggestions/pointers?

PS I am using GD bbpress Toolbox to format the emails and do not want interfere with that function.

Robin W

@robin-w

Antipole
    Participant

@antipole

Yes AsynCRONousbbPress Subscriptions works out of-the-tin as described. But it turns a single email with 123 Bcc addressees into 123 single addressee emails, which breaks my ISP’s limit of 100 emails/hour. Sigh!

I have finally achieved my own plugin which hooks onto wp_mail() and which chops up outgoing emails into multiple emails with a configured maximum Bcc addressee limit. So with my ISP’s limit of 10 addressees, my 123 notifications get sent in 12 emails each with 10 addressees plus 1 with the last 3.

It works with all outgoing emails that supply the Bcc addresses in an array (as does bbPress) or a flat list (as does Subscribe2 for WP post notifications).

Code here.

Robin W

@robin-w

glad you are fixed, but you have a tough ISP !!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar