Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Troubleshoot integration

• enquirer32
    Participant

@enquirer32

I’m using the latest versions of bbpress and WordPress. I intalled bbpress to be integrated with WP. however, when I click over from the WordPress site to the bbpress site I am not already logged in. Is there a list to troubleshoot to see why this happening? I have done as much as I can do so far (eg checking secret words etc).

More irritatingly I find that I’ve been logged out of the WP site when I go back.

Thx.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • I’m having the same issue… just wanted to provide some company. Will post if I resolve.

Here’s a checklist:

1. You are running latest versions of WordPress (2.5.1) and bbPress (0.9.0.2)
    2. You have matched SECRET_KEY in wp-config.php with BB_SECRET_KEY in bb-config.php
    3. You have matched WordPress “secret” database option with bbPress “secret” database setting
    4. You have setup compatible cookie domains and paths in config files (see instructions in bbPress admin)
    5. You are successfully sharing user tables from WordPress with bbPress

This checklist was gold. Thanks.

I’m actually using an older version of WordPress (integrating wordpress 2.3.1 + aMember + bbPress). aMember doesn’t yet work with wP2.5. Had to follow bbPress instructions for older installs of WP.

After that, and confirming against your checklist, everything worked.

enquirer32
    Participant

@enquirer32

thanks. still does not work.

1. upgraded bbpress to .9.0.2

2. yes

3. not sure how i can check this?

4. think so. added sthg to bbpress config shall i do the same to wp config?

5. yes

enquirer32
    Participant

@enquirer32

OK! Thanks for your help. I re-checked everything and there was a different ‘secret’ – found by visiting wordpresssite/options.php. I keyed this into the admin section of bbpress. I don’t know if this was the only thing as I tweaked the config file of WordPress to have two lines defining the cookie domain (it had only one). Anyway we have blast off.

I think I’ll add this checklist to the documentation. It seems to have worked a treat for you guys.

This stuff is frustrating as all hell. It seems so simple until it doesn’t work out of the box and you spend hours trying to figure it out. Fix these kinds of problems and you’re golden!

Anyhow, just downloaded and installed the latest wordpress mu and bbpress today.

wordpress in DocumentRoot, and bbpress in DocumentRoot/forums/

Both in mysql 5.x database named wordpress.

When installing bbpress, I did not enable wordpress integration.

I followed this checklist:

1. You are running latest versions of WordPress (2.5.1) and bbPress (0.9.0.2)

2. You have matched SECRET_KEY in wp-config.php with BB_SECRET_KEY in bb-config.php

3. You have matched WordPress “secret” database option with bbPress “secret” database setting

4. You have setup compatible cookie domains and paths in config files (see instructions in bbPress admin)

5. You are successfully sharing user tables from WordPress with bbPress

Everything seems to be right.

BIG FIRST PROBLEM is I setup the roles on the wordpress integration page so “admin” is “key master.” As soon as I turn on integration, my old key master is gone and admin can login but is NOT key master. Google is my friend, most of the time, and I found a query to do by hand to fix it. This should be automatic in the install process of bbpress or turn on of integration, no?

So I’m able to login to wordpress. I login to bbpress. My user’s password is wiped out in wordpress. I can do lost password thingy in wordpress and restore the password. When I navigate to /forums/ and login as my user, the password in wordpress is wiped out again. Oddly, I can login as my user at bbpress over and over again, no problem.

notes:

1) my user is a user I created on wordpress, and he has admin privs and thus key master privs in bbpress. I see the admin link in bbpress when I login. But when I do login, wordpress won’t accept this user’s password anymore. I either have to keep loging into wordpress as admin and resetting the user’s password or go through the forgot password by email process. Changing the user’s password in bbpress has no effect on wordpress.

2) The integration forum in admin is confusing as all hell. Or maybe the installation process is not well documented. Maybe a page on your site about how to install the two together and get the integration working would be good. For example, should bbpress and wordpress share the same database? Not clear. The integration page asks for both a site url and a blog url, what’s the difference?

3) Did anyone try doing a fresh install of both as part of your Q/A before releasing a latest version of bbpress?

4) If I can’t get the password problem resolved, bbpress is the one to go, not wordpress.

5) I probably should post some of this in multiple threads, but I doubt there’s any notification feature that would e-mail me if/should anyone reply to my posts :)

6) I want to give bbpress every opportunity to replace my existing 20K+ member / 1.6M post message board site.

@ mykes

What version of WordPressMU?

I’m not sure that the latest version is compatible with bbPress yet. The recent Release Candiadte is though.

@ mykes

I double checked, the latest stable version of WordPress MU uses the old password hashing and cookie types.

You can dumb down bbPress to work with that version of WordPress MU by using both of these bbPress plugins.

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/mouldy-old-cookies-for-bbpress/

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/md5-insecurity-for-bbpress/

I tried keying in the new secret key from WordPress 2.5.1 into the bb-admin panel, but it’s still not making a difference. Users can only be logged into one or the other at a time.

The same happened to me after upgrading my wordpress to V.2.5.1

The problem is that auth mechanism in wordpress (based on cookies) has changed and no more compatible with the bbPress’ one. I believe that the next bbPress release will fix it. However now there is only one way to solve the problem – to edit some piece of code(only few lines). This is the instruction:

1) open your bbpress_dir/bb-includes/pluggable.php

2) find function wp_validate_auth_cookie

3) inside this function change next 2 lines of code

$key = wp_hash($username . $expiration);

$hash = hash_hmac(‘md5’, $username . $expiration, $key);

to

$key = wp_hash($username . ‘|’ . $expiration);

$hash = hash_hmac(‘md5’, $username . ‘|’ . $expiration, $key);

4) find function wp_generate_auth_cookie

5) inside this function change next 2 lines of code

$key = wp_hash($user->user_login . $expiration);

$hash = hash_hmac(‘md5’, $user->user_login . $expiration, $key);

to

$key = wp_hash($user->user_login . ‘|’ . $expiration);

$hash = hash_hmac(‘md5’, $user->user_login . ‘|’ . $expiration, $key);

That’s all!

NOTE! It’s only actual for wordpress 2.5.1 with bbpress 0.9.0.1

The checklist was excellent. My problem is that since upgrading BBPress and WP, I can’t log in to my forum at all.

My BBPress was getting users from my WP, but I suspect this isn’t now working. Is there a way to check this?

There must be an instruction somewhere that tells BBPress to access the WP database, but I haven’t found it.

I’d be grateful for a point in the right direction.

Man…i’ve been trying to get bbpress in integrate (sso) for about 4 days now. I’ve tried just about everything these forums have recommended. I first installed WordPress (upgraded to 2.5.1), and then installed the newest version of bbpress in a subdirectory, like http://www.mysite.com/forum. I then went to my “wordpress integration” section of my bbpress installation, set it up as directed…and now I can’t login to the admin section of my bbpress site. I looked into seryi’s suggested changed above, but my code seems to be correct in my pluggable.php file. I tried the “fix admin” plugin from here: https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/fix-admin-access/. I also tried this process (https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/wpbb-integration-admin-problem#post-2539) of changed the phpmyadmin, but I’m confused on what to add where. Is there anything else I can try in order to get this integration working?

OK, I have the bbpress login and the wp login using the same user database under wp. The only issue that I have left is my loss of keymaster under the bbpress install. My problem with this is that I did auto-installs of both programs…so I didn’t get any options to set the keymaster/admin settings. I have read this post: wpbb-integration-admin-problem#post-2539 and I think that that it’s what I need to do. Problem is…I don’t know how to change this. I don’t see any code that looks like that which is being referred to. Anyone have a more detailed description of what I’m trying to do? Thanks.

oh ya. This was way harder then it needed to be. This reply from Sewar worked:

user_id meta_key meta_value

1 bb_capabilities a:1:{s:6:”member”;b:1;}

Change “meta_value” to: a:1:{s:9:”keymaster”;b:1;}, So it will look like:

user_id meta_key meta_value

1 bb_capabilities a:1:{s:9:”keymaster”;b:1;}

I wish I could insert a picture of the phpmyadmin file. Let me know if someone what me to send it to them so they can post it on their website. Thanks to all that posted this free help…

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

To post a picture, use one of the free image hosting services, then link to it here.

http://www.imageshack.us/

http://photobucket.com/

Or any of these:

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/02/11/45-photo-sharing-sites/

I’m trying to integrate WordPress 2.5.1 and bbPress 0.9.0.2.

I have matched SECRET_KEY in wp-config.php with BB_SECRET_KEY in bb-config.php and matched WordPress “secret” database option with bbPress “secret” database setting.

I have also setup compatible cookie domains and paths in config files and mapped user roles.

The only thing I haven’t done is share user tables because it isn’t required and my bbPress database is separate.

I am still having problems integrating. When a user registers on bbPress, they are not registered in WordPress.

The site is http://www.cheshirecrossingii.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Michael

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I think you would have to integrate the user tables for that to happen.

Are you sure? I don’t mind recreating databases, but if it can be avoided, it would certainly make me happy =).

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I’m not sure, which is why I said “I think.”

Take a look at the user tables and see if there is something there that will affect logins. I’m quite possibly wrong. You could also try a test installation using the same procedure you’ve already used, but add the shared user table, and see what happens.

You do need to use the same user tables for both WordPress and bbPress to achieve what you are after.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

mciarlo: back to the original problem then. When a user registers in bbPress, they’re not registered in WordPress?

Have you searched the forum for either cookie or role?

A couple things sounded interesting:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/wordpress-integration-logout-problem

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/integration-how-to-do-it

Inactive

sambauers-

I followed your checklist and feel I am doing everything right. I still can’t get it to work. How can I make absolutely sure I’m doing #5 (sharing user tables from WordPress with bbPress) correctly?

1) You are running latest versions of WordPress (2.5.1) and bbPress (0.9.0.2)

2) You have matched SECRET_KEY in wp-config.php with BB_SECRET_KEY in bb-config.php

3) You have matched WordPress “secret” database option with bbPress “secret” database setting

4) You have setup compatible cookie domains and paths in config files (see instructions in bbPress admin)

5) You are successfully sharing user tables from WordPress with bbPress

If you create a new user in bbPress the user record should turn up in the wp_users table. That’s the best way to check.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar