Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Swedish names for users wanted!

• Göran

@goranlin

I have been looking forward to the release of bbPress 1.0 since I thought that users at last would be able to use usernames with diacritic characters like my own name Göran. To my disappointment this is not so. I installed bbPress 1.0.1 and when trying to register as a user with the name Göran it was suggested (in Swedish) that I chose the name Gran instead.

Please suggest a solution! This is a major drawback for a simple and useful forum. It must concern a lot of forums with users that have names that not conform to English spelling.

I have raised this question with earlier versions of bbPress but never recieved any useful solution. I run a forum where I have to tell users that they cannot use their real names. Other Swedish forums do the same. Please help!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

If you are using bbPress 1.0, you can use a display name instead of your user login name, and the display name can be anything in the UTF8 character set.

There is also a workaround for bbPress 0.9 that might also work on 1.0 that removes all restrictions for the user login. It’s not been well tested to my knowledge but apparently works. I’ll try to find it for you.

Here it is, try this:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/accents-in-username#post-19037

Göran

@goranlin

Thank you for fast and helpful answer. I have seen display names mentioned before but I did not understand how to use them. I now found I can change my display name in my profile and chose my full name or parts of it as display name.

I have not yet tried to integrate a WordPress web site with a bbPress forum. Is it now possible to let users log in once to both? Or at least use the same user name and password for both? Can the display name option be used in both?

Göran

@goranlin

As you can see I managed to use my real name also in this forum which I think is nice.

I think all forums where people use their real names get a more civilized discussion since the wide spread tendency to use rude language and ill considered replies diminish when real names are used.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Both bbPress and WordPress can be integrated so the login is shared.

With bbPress 0.9 you will need special plugins to use WP 2.7 or 2.8

bbPress 1.0 can share the login with WP 2.7 or 2.8 without plugins.

However many plugins do not yet work with 1.0, so keep that in mind.

Real names as an option is nice but I’d hate to see it mandatory as some countries are trying to do. My experience is that people either have manners or they don’t, real names, in person, online or otherwise won’t stop rude people much. The problem is once your real name is online, your employer or in the USA your health insurance can use anything you say against you, no matter how innocent it might be.

But that doesn’t change the fact you should be able to use your native characters in bbPress and WordPress if you wish ;-)

I’m curious if the user login plugin above will also allow you to use your name with the login and not just the Display Name.

Note that bbPress 1.0 also allows you to login via your email address once you are registered. There is a plugin for 0.9 that does the same thing.

You can use CyrNickName plugin (it’s fine with 1.01). I use it for UTF8 usernames. It’s PITA that bbPress does not support it by default.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

CyrNickName is virtually identical to the function linked above, they all take the same approach:

function sanitize_user_cyr( $raw_username, $username, $strict = false ) {
    $raw_username = $username;

$username = strip_tags($username);
    // Kill octets
    $username = preg_replace('|%([a-fA-F0-9][a-fA-F0-9])|', '', $username);
    $username = preg_replace('/&.+?;/', '', $username); // Kill entities

// If strict, reduce to ASCII for max portability.
    // if ( $strict )
    // $username = preg_replace('|[^a-z0-9 _.-@]|i', '', $username);

return apply_filters('sanitize_user_cyr', $username, $raw_username, $strict);
    }

add_action('sanitize_user', 'sanitize_user_cyr', 0, 3);

Göran

@goranlin

Thank you Kar-l and _ck_ for your answers.

CyrNickName might be useful but where can I find it? It is not in the list of plugins and it might be possible to download from a site a found in Russian but I do not understand russian so I could not use it. After more searching I found http://bbpress.ru/downloads/plugins/ where I could download it and it seems to work fine.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

CyrNickName is identical to the functions listed in this topic

people just keep renaming them but the content is virtually the same

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar