Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Strange SPAM problem

• My forum (http://www.nbascoreboard.net/forums) runs ‘Akismet’ and ‘Human Test for bbPress’ plugins. This prevents most spam. However, I’m having an issue where a spammer is making posts (‘xnpn’ plugin tells me so) but these posts don’t show up under ‘Topics’ or ‘Posts’ in my bbPress Dashboard.

The only evidence is the tag cloud on the right includes the tags. But then when I click the tag, I still don’t see the post. Have a look at the site linked above.

The spammer does show up as a User, but the profile doesn’t show any topics or replies. How can I combat this problem?

Thanks.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sounds like someone found a crack in the bbPress wall.

Try making a ticket on the trac. Altough bbPress stand alone isn’t supported that much anymore, but I guess this asks for a critical update.

Sounds like someone found a crack in the bbPress wall.

Try making a ticket on the trac. Altough bbPress stand alone isn’t supported that much anymore, but I guess this asks for a critical update.

Same problem here, I’m seeing spammy tag but any post there

Same problem here, I’m seeing spammy tag but any post there

+1 :/

+1 :/

Same problem on my site, but I looked a little.

These spammy tags are from spams automatically detected as spam in Akismet, written by a user marked as bozo. (That’s the good part of it.) Nothing is visible from this user except for the tags.

As a quick and dirty workaround I deleted the tags and the referred tag-id in the MySQL tables term_relationships and terms. But it is a bug, this kind of tags should not appear. Generally tags from bozos should not be visible (its a join on usermeta on ID = usermeta.user_id where meta_key = 'is_bozo' and meta_value = 1).

But don’t expect a quick fix, its bbpress here. Even more important things need a lot of time.

Same problem on my site, but I looked a little.

These spammy tags are from spams automatically detected as spam in Akismet, written by a user marked as bozo. (That’s the good part of it.) Nothing is visible from this user except for the tags.

As a quick and dirty workaround I deleted the tags and the referred tag-id in the MySQL tables term_relationships and terms. But it is a bug, this kind of tags should not appear. Generally tags from bozos should not be visible (its a join on usermeta on ID = usermeta.user_id where meta_key = 'is_bozo' and meta_value = 1).

But don’t expect a quick fix, its bbpress here. Even more important things need a lot of time.

Checkout this plugin “Tag History (0.0.4)” i used to remove the spam tags

Checkout this plugin “Tag History (0.0.4)” i used to remove the spam tags

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Solution = reCaptcha + Noforumspam + Project Honeypot

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Solution = reCaptcha + Noforumspam + Project Honeypot

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar