Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Installation Error Message

• covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

When I attempt to the install.php phase, the config.php file text loads onto the browser finalized with this error message:

Fatal error: Class bb_walker_forumadminlistitems: Cannot inherit from undefined class bb_walker in /home/cust2/user1080446/html/bbpress/bb-admin/admin-functions.php on line 582

I’ve monkeyed around with it for a while now and I’m not getting anywhere.

Thanks

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)

• covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

I should add that I have a couple of WordPress Blogs successfully installed and have used the same db settings cut and pasted from them to the bbpress config.php file.

jw

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

That’s not a database connection error at all, and I haven’t see it before. What version bbPress did you install and what is your server setup?

covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

I just downloaded bbPress today from its site, so I’m assuming it is the most recent. I’ve started from scratch and now I’ve what is probably a more recognizable error message but still not one I know how to handle, although I’ll search for it in the forum:

Cannot select DB

jw

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

That Cannot select DB error is most definitely a database connection error. Your connection details before were fine. I imagine once you get the connection details right here, you will be back to the original error. It would be weird if just downloading it again and reinstalling would have helped (unless the download or FTP upload was corrupt or something.)

covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

I’m going to delete everything from my server and start from scratch.

jw

covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

You were right. I’m back to the original error. I’ve made use of the config portion as well as follows.

// The rest is only useful if you are integrating bbPress with WordPress.

// If you’re not, just leave it as it is.

$bb->wp_table_prefix = ‘playdate_’; // WordPress table prefix. Example: ‘ppd_’;

$bb->wp_home = ‘http://www.johnwade.ca/puppyplaydate’; // WordPress –

Options->General: Blog address (URL) // Example: ‘http://example.com’

$bb->wp_siteurl = ‘http://www.johnwade.ca/puppyplaydate’; // WordPress –

Options->General: WordPress address (URL) // Example: ‘http://example.com’

Here the error message.

Parse error: parse error in /home/cust2/user1080446/html/bbpress/config.php on line 4

Fatal error: Class bb_walker_forumadminlistitems: Cannot inherit from undefined class bb_walker in /home/cust2/user1080446/html/bbpress/bb-admin/admin-functions.php on line 582

jw

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

This error points to a problem in the config file:

Parse error: parse error in /home/cust2/user1080446/html/bbpress/config.php on line 4

Line 4 is the first line of the database config stuff, starting with database name. This error was not mentioned previously by you and maybe there is a new problem there.

The bb_walker error is interesting. In your error message, it’s lower case, but in the source, it appear like this, with some uppercase: BB_Walker_ForumAdminlistitems and BB_Walker. Not sure if that’s a typo in the source or a problem with the upload or something else.

My guess is that it’s used in lowercase for the function call, and it’s defined in uppercase, which doesn’t work, I don’t think. I’ve had that happen before when the development of a plugin or function is developed on a Windows machine where the case does not matter, and it’s loaded onto a Linux server where the case does. Maybe it’s something like that?

Looks like your server is Linux, so case matters there.

This is not a comforting note from the trunk: backPress: BOOM! this will break *everything*

Did you download the 0.8.3.1 release or a trunk release? I am fairly certain trunk is broken right now, but 0.8.3.1 should work. There was a post from sambauers here about a month ago saying that r980 was the best version to try:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/broken-profiles-for-users-with-spaces-in-the-names?replies=5#post-12769

bbPress is in flux right now. It’s not normally anywhere near this difficult to get up and running. Sorry for the troubles.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Maybe a template is calling that function in lowercase, but it’s been changed to uppercase in the source? Are you using a template other than kakumei? Or any plugins? I would try with the default template and no plugins if nothing else seems to be working.

covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

I have not done anything, plug in, or template, just unzipped the download from bbpress website, unzipped, made the appropriate changes to the config.php and uploaded. I will delete everything from server and my computer and download and start from scratch. However the link offered earlier to .8.3.1 has a note in the thread saying not to use it if there is planned wordpress integration, which is my goal.

Where and what should I download to begin again?

jw

covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

When I get the appropriate files. Should I install with a configuartion without WordPress integration in mind and if I get the installation up and running can I make changed from there to integrate?

jw

covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

sigh …

I cleaned house and started from scratch, and still:

Cannot select DB.

As a side question (2)

In the section of the code for “What are you going to call me?” Can the content have punctuation?

Second, I’m not clear on the slug reference. I think I understand the end result but do you actually type in the word ‘slugs’?

jw

covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

I just tried to do the edit of the config while it was on the server just in case something was corrupting in in the editor (openoffice a few times but notepad in the end) but that didn’t work either.

jw

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

The db connection problem is a most certainly a problem with the information in config.php. If you can post your config.php , someone might be able to help. When you edit the details, be sure to edit carefully, or maybe just change one character rather than trying to obliterate the whole db name, user, password or host. Something could be lost in your editing.

On second thought, it’s not going to help much to post the config.php because it’s not that there are syntax errors, it’s a problem with the details. Posting the config with the details there or not will not help to debug it.

Did you cut and paste the whole section from the wp-config.php? Did you change the name of the constants from DB_NAME and DB_whatever to BBDB_NAME and BBDB_whatever for use with bbPress?

Also, are you trying to use a port or socket with the db connection?

covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

Is it possible the problem lays in my use of local host in spite of the “99% chance you won’t need to change . . .” :) What does one change it to when one is the 1%? Is this even a possibility if the same info was used in wordpress installation?

I cut and paste just the actual db name, password and username and nothing else.

I don’t know whether I’m using a port or socket, that’s getting out of my pay grade. I’ve done multiple installs though of wordpress without problems.

jw

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Yes, absolutely on the localhost issue. I always have to change that since my database is on a different server. What DB_HOST is used in the WordPress wp-config.php? If you are using the same database, user and password, but with different tables, then the BBDB_HOST and DB_HOST should be the same value in both files. Whatever you are using in WordPress you need to use in bbPress since you mentioned previously that you were going for an integrated install.

Very simply, the DB_HOST and BBDB_HOST are just machine names where the database lives. If the database (MySQL) is on the same machine as your web server, then localhost is appropriate. If it’s on another host, then you need to enter the publicly accessible name of that host, like mine is always something like db1234.perfora.net. That machine exists on the Internet, and MySQL connections to it are done via port 3306 by default (you don’t need to tell it to do that.)

Once this database connection issue is resolved, I think there is still going to be the error with the bb_walker stuff…

covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

I addressed the 99% rule and have learned that I am in the 1% and made it to the installation page. However, Not sure yet what it’s all about but I did get:

Now we’re going to create the database tables and fill them with some default data.

bbPress database error: [Incorrect table definition; there can be only one auto column and it must be defined as a key]

ALTER TABLE ppd_posts ADD COLUMN post_id bigint(20) NOT NULL auto_increment

bbPress database error: [Key column ‘post_id’ doesn’t exist in table]

ALTER TABLE ppd_posts ADD PRIMARY KEY (post_id)

1.Created table ppd_forums

2.Created table ppd_topics

3.Created table ppd_topicmeta

4.Created table ppdusers

5.Created table ppdusermeta

6.Created table ppd_tags

7.Created table ppd_tagged

8.Changed default value of ppd_posts.post_status from publish to 0

9.Added column ppd_posts.post_id

10.Added column ppd_posts.forum_id

11.Added column ppd_posts.topic_id

12.Added column ppd_posts.poster_id

13.Added column ppd_posts.post_text

14.Added column ppd_posts.post_time

15.Added column ppd_posts.poster_ip

16.Added index ppd_posts FULLTEXT KEY post_text (post_text)

bbPress database error: [Unknown column ‘post_id’ in ‘field list’]

SELECT post_id, poster_id FROM ppd_posts WHERE topic_id = 1 AND post_status = 0 ORDER BY post_time

bbPress database error: [Unknown column ‘post_id’ in ‘where clause’]

SELECT * FROM ppd_posts WHERE post_id = 3

Finished!

Now you can log in with the username . . .

covertandcloaked

@covertandcloaked

I’ve typed in the url for the admin page but it’s not popping up. Am I missing something or is it related to one of the errors mentioned above.

jw

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

In your config.php, you should start with mod_rewrite being false. I suspect you have it set to true or slugs, and that is creating problems for you as well.

$bb->mod_rewrite = false;

That should take care of the bb-admin issue, unless you are currently logged in and NOT a keymaster or admin. If you are logged in as a regular member and try to access the admin page, I believe you are directed to the bbPress installation instead of admin.

UPDATED INFO after thinking about it: It’s also possible that this redirection is occurring because the creation of tables and modification of tables did not go well, and it’s not reading your user information properly and it does not know you are keymaster with access to bb-admin.

Regarding the SQL errors, is it possible your WordPress installation already used ppd_ as a table prefix, and then you used it in your config.php for the bbPress table prefix as well? If that’s the case, the errors are because it is trying to create tables that already exist or modifying tables with the wrong names. From the snippet of config.php you posted earlier, you showed $bb->wp_table_prefix = 'playdate_'; but also ppd_ in the line below (the ‘for example’ part), and the errors here show ppd_ as the table prefix. Oddly enough, there are some errors with just ppd and no underscore as the table prefix as well.

Seems like it’s a combination of configuration things at this point. Maybe the $bb_table_prefix was set to the same thing as the $bb->wp_table_prefix with the exception of the underscore (so, ppd vs. ppd_). That info doesn’t agree with the piece of the config.php you posted though where you said $bb->wp_table_prefix = 'playdate_';

I suspect the whole picture has not been posted since you’re working on it and trying things and then you make a change and the old information no longer applies.

Right now, you have the database connection issue figured out. You should be using different table prefixes for wordpress and bbpress: wp_ and bb_ are the defaults. In the bbPress config.php, the $bb->wp_table_prefix should be the same as whatever it is in your wp-config.php and THAT should be different from the bbPress table prefix, set earlier in the config.php at $bb_table_prefix.

I checked and $bb->mod_rewrite = false; (although I thought I had changed it to slugs – another incarnation I guess.)

The table prefixes were the same and I fixed that and did a reinstall and it came out clean without the prior error messages.

However I still can’t find my way to the admin page. I am redirected instead to the forum main page. I can’t seem to login either. (I tried an experimental post)

jw

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Did you clear out the user in WordPress and start over by creating a new user? Did you reinstall WordPress as well? I wonder if any modification were made by bbPress to the WordPress tables when you tried to install bbPress with the same table prefix for both bbPress and WordPress.

Can you try just logging in as a user, or registering a new user, then logging in? Does that work, and does the forum work, it’s just that you can’t access bb-admin directly?

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Your WordPress table prefix needs to be different to your bbPress table prefix.

I tried creating a new user and logging in but was unsuccessful. Can’t try the forum as far as posting as I can’t log in. Sambauers – I did change the prefix and that helped get things on track, just the log on and getting to the admin section.

I wonder if I should be deleting everything again, wordpress as well, go to mysql and dump the tables and start from scratch (again.)

Your thoughts? Not looking forward to it but will if you think a clean start would eliminate some possibilities.

jw

SB, that should have read that log on and admin access are where things are now stalled.

jw

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

What actually happens when you try to login and post? Can you post the URL where this is occurring? It’s hard to guess why you can’t login and post without seeing the actual error you’re getting (if you posted the error previously, sorry, I missed it.)

No error message. Here’s the url:

http://www.johnwade.ca/Forums/

jw

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar