Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

here’s a trick to fix Kakumei author info overflow

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I’ve noticed there is a serious problem with the way the CSS works for the default Kakumei theme (and any other theme based on it).

As you add information to the post author field on the left, it will start to vertically overflow and start to overlap the next post. This is because the designer unfortunately decided to use a shortcut via position:absolute making it impossible to clear:both columns.

Here’s how to easily fix it by appending two simple lines to the very bottom of the style.css and no need to search for and edit/replace other lines.

.threadauthor  {position:relative; float:left; margin:0 -110px 0 0; right:110px; }
    .poststuff {clear:both;}

If you don’t want to edit any core files, simply put this into a plugin (make a new one or any existing one)

function fix_kakumei_css() { echo '<style type="text/css">.threadauthor  {position:relative; float:left; margin:0 -110px 0 0; right:110px; } .poststuff {clear:both;} </style>';}
    add_action('bb_head', 'fix_kakumei_css');

Tested working in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and Safari for Windows. Would appreciate MAC browser feedback?

(I will attempt to automatically include this hack in my plugins to help avoid edits since it’s usually my plugins that add so much info to the left but the new gravatar in 0.9 will also cause the overflow)

Should actually be a core fix now that I think about it.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Actually, this was fixed and tested when Gravatars was implemented in core. I’ve further refined the fixes today and tested across numerous browsers.

Maybe your CSS was cached? Another reason to be running with a CSS version in the stylesheet link uri perhaps?

morganoconnell
    Participant

@morganoconnell

Thanks _ck_ – this was infuriating me for ages. Didn’t receive the fix mentioned above in 0.9.0.2.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar