Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Discussion list, compact with expand & collaspe

• lizat
    Participant

@lizat

I would like my discussion list display to be somewhat more compact. Can I display a single line, with the subject, author, no avatar and then expand or collapse in-line. Is this do-able?

Thank you

liz

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• lizat
    Participant

@lizat

I should have been clear and indicated that I mean I want this facility at the point where you get to all the posts; I would like to see all listed and have the ability to expand or collapse, plus remove the avatar

thank you,

liz

Robin W

@robin-w

Yes it can be done, but you’d need to have some coding skills.

You’d need to amend loop-single-reply.

Start by creating a directory called “bbpress” under you theme directory

ie

wp-content/themes/what-every-yourtheme-is/bbpress

and copy this file

wp-content/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/loop-single-reply.php

to it

This file is then used by a higher loop to display the topic and replies as you now see them, with avatars and all the content.

You can then amend this file to display as a single line items, presumably with a post link attached.

lizat
    Participant

@lizat

Hi all,

Robin suggested that it is possible to expand and collapse the replies in a thread. However my php skills are rudimentary so I am wondering if someone has the solution?

This is what I want – in perfect world:

• to allow replies to have a title (they do in the back end but never when the user is posting)
    • to display a thread as a collapsed, and indented, list using the title (or first line if titles proves impossible) as the default view
    • to offer an expand “button” to allow the user to see the full text of anything that is collapsed
    • to offer a collapse”button” to allow the user to collapse and expanded item
    • to complete the usability it would be good to have a config parameter that the user sets to indicate if he wants collapsed or expanded threads as default – but this is a plug-in change, I include it here for completeness

If anyone has don anything similar please share it, I think it may be a good addition to the dev requests in the long-run?

Thank you……… liz

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

I have yet to look closely at the code in each of the following plugin (I’m scared of Javascript, jQuery and AJAX ;)) though they might be a good starter for the functionality you are after.

bbPress – Ajax Replies and bbPress – Ajax Topics

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar