Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Cannot change Secret Field

Inactive

Hi,

I entered the wrong Secret value when installing BBPress. Now when I go to BBPress Settings > WordPress Integration and try to change it, it logs me out of BBPress. The value obviously does not get updated. This only hapens if I try to change the Secret field.

How do I update the field as WP integration will not work otherwise? I don’t have direct access to the database, no PHPmyadmin option. My client is using PLESK.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

How about just putting the correct value in bb-config.php?

define('BB_SECRET_KEY',

Just make that the same as the value in wp-config.php

There’s no way in Plesk to manage the database? That seems odd. Do you have shell access where you could use mysql from the command line?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

hmm – have to think about that one

chris, there are two parts to the key, you can’t define the other part via the bb-config.php

actually – have you tried completely clearing your cookies? Even with a mismatched key you should be able to login, just not sync with wordpress. The cookies might be scrambled until you clear them.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Thanks _ck_

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

It might be possible to do this inside bb-config.php

$bb->secret=”blah blah your key”;

and override the internal db.

I have to lookup if “secret” is the real name though.

(that’s in addition to define(‘BB_SECRET_KEY’ )

Yeah, apparently it really is $bb->secret give that a try.

Inactive

_ck_ That worked!!!! Thank you so much!!!

chrishajer

I don’t have access to my client’s hosting plus I’m not very familiar with Plesk to guide him without looking at it myself.

Anyhow, the problem has been solved :))

On a sidenote: This forum keeps telling me my username does not exist when I try going to my profile or favourites 😮

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Glad to hear it worked – remember to not keep using $bb->secret though in your config and update the db properly as it lowers the security of your setup somewhat.

(The idea being an attacker might gain access to bb-config.php and not your db to gain the second half of the key – not my design and not sure I agree with the logic but I guess it’s still better than keep both in an obvious place)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar