Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Where do I upload bbpress?

• republican1021

@republican1021

I realize this is a really dumb question but I have the .zip file from this site so what do I do with it now to integrate it with wordpress?

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

First you need to get it on your server somewhere. Unzip it on your desktop and then rename that bbpress folder to whatever you want to call your forum (some people us “forums”, like here, or “forum” or “discussions”. If you don’t change it from bbpress, you will be accessing it at http://www.example.com/bbpress/

Once you unzip it, rename the folder if you want, upload it to your server. It’s commonly installed in a subfolder of WordPress. So, if WordPress is here: /var/www/htdocs/wordpress/ then you will want bbpress here /var/www/htdocs/wordpress/bbpress/ (with whatever you called the bbpress folder.)

Once it’s uploaded there, you will access the installer online like this:

http://www.example.com/bbpress/ (assuming http://www.example.com/ displays your WordPress site.)

Once you are this far, you can work on the integration with WordPress.

republican1021

@republican1021

So would that directory be in my cPanel? I’m using Hostgator web hosting if that makes a difference

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

All the existing directories will be in the cPanel. Not sure if you can create a new one there, but you don’t even need to. find out where WordPress is installed (the folder with wp-config.php in it usually) and then upload the whole bbpress folder to the server. Rename that bbpress folder to whatever you want before you upload it.

republican1021

@republican1021

I’m pretty sure that I’ve followed the directions right, I upload the .zip file to the same folder that contains ‘wp-config.php’,unzipped it there; when I visit the intended url of the forum, nothing appears.

Do you get a subdomain to your forum from cPanel? I think, bbPress need this before you go to install. Just add subdomain to bbPress folder. :)

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

What do you mean “nothing” appears? Blank screen or 404 from your WordPress site? Or something else? How about the URL where you are trying to install?

You can use a subdomain if you like, but it’s not necessary. You have a more basic problem.

I have my bbPress forum in subdomain and without any problem. :)

republican1021

@republican1021

When I say nothing appears, I get the page ”HTTP 404 Page Not Found”

And what exactly do you mean by a subdomain and how do I create one?

If you want your forum to discussion.yourdomain.com , you can use to forum a subdomain. In cPanel go to Subdomains, than manage subdomains. Now just add subdomain to your bbPress folder. Example:

myforum.mydomain.net (public_html/myforum)

Note: Subdomains rely on the DNS system in order to function, which means that your DNS information must propagate throughout the different DNS servers on the Internet before your subdomain becomes fully active. This process on the average takes a few hours.

When I say nothing appears, I get the page ”HTTP 404 Page Not Found”

<– Are you sure, that you go to right url?

republican1021

@republican1021

Yes, I want my forum at mysite.com/forum

When I enter that in, I get the HTTP 404

republican1021

@republican1021

I just created a subdomain in the bbpress folder, I went to the url and I got this:

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /cgi-bin/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

republican1021

@republican1021

I deleted and re-created a subdomain and it worked; I got the bbpress installer

Thanks guys :)

You’re welcome. Happy new year with bbPress. :)

republican1021

@republican1021

I’ve hit yet another snag.

Apparently, I have bbpress installed on my site and integrated with WordPress. NOW HOW THE HECK DO I MAKE A FREAKIN FORUM AND PUT IT ON MY SITE??!!!!!

The easiest way is to edit the layout of the forum to respond to the look of your blog.

republican1021

@republican1021

How? there is nothing about bbpress on my WordPress dashboard, and when i visit the subdomain it just says bbpress is already installed

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

There won’t be anything in your WordPress dashboard about bbPress. What happens when you try to access the forum URL? (and what is the forum URL?)

republican1021

@republican1021

The url is http://forum.easyushistory.com/bb-admin/install.php

The intended domain is forum.easyushistory.com

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I would recommend dropping the bb_ tables from the database, and try installing again at the URL you provided. That error occurs when there are old bb_ database tables in the database. If you changed the bb_ table prefix, then just drop the tables with that prefix. Then complete the installation again.

republican1021

@republican1021

So I delete all files that start with bb_ ?

Am I just uninstalling bbpress?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

No, you delete all the database tables that have the prefix of bb_. You’re not deleting the files in the filesystem at all. Database tables, not files. The installer checks for those tables, and if they’re present, it suggests you upgrade instead of install. If you remove the tables, bbPress will continue with the installer.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Here is a list of the tables that are created in 1.0. Here I changed the table prefix from bb_ to bbpress_:

http://chrishajer.com/bbpress/bbpress-tables.png

Those are the tables that need to be dropped to start the installation over. You don’t need to delete any files at all.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar