Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Under Attack – Profile Spam + Regular Thread and Reply Spam – How to Fix?

• bbspammedin2022
    Participant

@bbspammedin2022

Hi Guys,

Our forum has become a target for spammers.

We have a ton of users (over 1,000) who signed up and filled their profiles with spammy text and links and a bunch who have been replying to threads or making new ones full of similar spam.

I have a few questions:

1) Is there an easy way to bulk delete a bunch of profiles at the same time if I have a list of users or profile urls (without having to go in and do it 1 by 1)?

2) If the profile gets deleted does that mean that all of that user’s threads and comments will be gone as well?

I am trying to avoid hiring a developer to do this since the quote I received was ridiculously expensive.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

so I would fix it like this in this order

for all these, by default worpdress/bbpress will usually display 20 items per page. if you look at the top right of the edit topics/replies/users page, you will see a dropdown box labelled ‘screen options’ – you can then set the no. items a page – so set this to say 50 or 100 to be able to do the process more quickly.

1. REPLIES

If you haven’t already marked the replies as spam then do 1.a if you have marked them as spam then do 1.b

1.a
    in
    dashboard>replies>all replies you will see a box to the left of each reply. Tick those you want to mark as spam – you can use the box left of the ‘replies’ title to select all of them.

Then click the ‘bulk actions’ top left under the replies heading and select spam and click apply.

This will move the spam replies to the spam folder.

1.b

Once you have all the replies as spam, then click the ‘spam’ link where it says

All (xxx) | Mine (xx) | Published (xx) | Drafts etc…. |Spam (xx)

then delete using the same method select all the spam replies (box to the left of the replies list heading) and use the bulk actions to ‘move to trash/bin’ all the spam replies.

1.c then you can leave them there in spam, or delete them permanently by selecting the ‘trash’ or ‘bin’ option in

All (xxx) | Mine (xx) | Published (xx) | Drafts etc…. |Spam (xx)

2. Repeat this process for topics

3. USERS (the bit I think you want to really know about)

In dashboard>users>edit users – you can use the same method to bulk select you spam users, and then using bulk actions choose ‘delete’ and ‘apply’ (as you did for topics and replies). When you do so, it will ask who you want to assign any content to. It normally (from memory) defaults to the first user in the list. If you have deleted all content in 1 and 2 above, then there will be nothing to assign, but if you have spam entries they will get assigned to whoever you say – that can for instance be to assign to ‘admin’

However I have seen sites where admins who use this method create a user called ‘spam user’ with a dummy email address who they assign content to. The logic of this is that if you have missed marking as spam and/or deleting a topic or reply it shows the user as ‘spam user’, rather than making ‘admin’ look like they are spamming their own site 🙂

The explanation above has probably taken longer to type than it should you to do this once you understand 🙂 🙂

bbspammedin2022
    Participant

@bbspammedin2022

Hi Robin,

Thanks for taking the time to write that up and my apologies for the delayed reply!

I really like the way you organized the information into steps, super helpful!

I have a few follow up questions:

1) When I go to replies, I see the subject that the people are replying to but not a preview of what they said. Is there any way to change the settings so that I can actually see what they posted on the replies dashboard?

2) Our spam problem runs deep so when I am clicking on each reply I almost always find more spam replies, which I then open up in a new tab and flag as spam before I edit the profiles and set the forum roles to blocked. Is there a better process for doing this?

3) In addition to the comment spam we have people who set up a profile, never made a post but put spammy text and backlinks in their profiles. I have a list of these people from an SEO tool that we use that can show which profiles have spammy backlinks pointed at them. Is there an easier way to delete the profiles in bulk without scrolling through the user list? the reason that I ask is that I have over 100,000 users to sort through.

Thanks!

Robin W

@robin-w

1. is doable, but would require custom code beyond free help

2. hmmm… that’s kinda how I do this on this site, but I only have a dozen or so each day. Are you using askimet to help reduce spam?

3. again would depend on what format the list is in, but beyond free hep as site specific.

if you need paid help, contact me via

Contact me

bbspammedin2022
    Participant

@bbspammedin2022

Thanks for the info! Do you do custom code?

We are using akismet but it isn’t very effective. It is only catching a small percentage of the reply spam.

Robin W

@robin-w

Do you do custom code?

yes

bbspammedin2022
    Participant

@bbspammedin2022

Cool, I will be emailing you shortly!

DeepBlue
    Participant

@deepblue5

Hi

First you should have a more complexe login form with anti spam (recaptcha) or other system to prevent Robots to register to your site

do you have a normal wp-login form ?

Also you should noindex the profiles so that they dont get indexed

bbspammedin2022
    Participant

@bbspammedin2022

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you know how we can add the recaptcha and noindex the profiles?

DeepBlue
    Participant

@deepblue5

Yes you can choose a plugin for a better login

and for the noindex, use yoast seo plugin

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar