Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Reply to Posts via Email

• nightsmusic
    Participant

@nightsmusic

I now this has been asked in the past, but I find nothing new on the subject so I’m asking again. We have a group who has always used Yahoo loops and were considering leaving them when their newest redesign made the decision easy for us.

I’ve installed BBPress, but the only thing I can’t do is set things so our members can reply to posts on the forum via the notification email they receive of new posts.

We will use BBPress for our classes in which class forums are restricted to paid registrants, but many can’t seem to let go of the whole Yahoo thing and expect to respond via email to the posts.

Does anyone know of an easy to use plugin that will handle this for us?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• mitchellsk
    Participant

@mitchellsk

bump

https://github.com/rmccue/bbPress-Reply-by-Email

bbPress Reply by Email
    Now your forum’s participants can reply to topics via email using

nightsmusic
    Participant

@nightsmusic

Thank you! I’ll have to see if I can find someone to install since I’ve never had any luck trying to install things from github. I’m not quite savvy enough, I guess.

How’d you go?

If you’ve had no luck see the following article section where it gives you details to add a plugin from a .zip file (the .zip file you can get from the above GitHub link to the plugin ‘Download Zip).

‘Install a Plugin using Upload Method in WordPress Admin Panel’

Surprisingly this method isn’t outlined in the WordPress Codex here (it should be) https://codex.wordpress.org/Managing_Plugins#Installing_Plugins

nightsmusic
    Participant

@nightsmusic

I gave it a try and it broke my site. On a chat with Bluehost, they were able to restore the site and commented that one of my other plugins was interfering with it, but they weren’t able to pinpoint which one. So it would seem I cannot use it. 🙁 I only have a few plugins, but do use them all.

I am bummed…

xmasons
    Participant

@xmasons

bbPress Reply by Email works pretty darn well, but it takes a bit to configure it initially. The included documentation is minimal, but the conversation on the specific github directory has plenty of pointers.

nightsmusic
    Participant

@nightsmusic

My problem is, as soon as I uploaded it, my site went blank. I had to get in touch with Bluehost to resolve the problem. I did use the WordPress plugin uploader. I don’t know if it would work using FTP through CPanel. My other problem is, I don’t think I’m good enough to ‘make’ it work. Does that make sense? I need plug-n-play type plugins because I can’t tell you how many times I’ve uploaded one and tried to follow the instructions for the various settings and once again, broken my site.

Strange that it failed but it is the only plugin of this type that I know of. It is probably in the ‘advanced’ category of setup and maintaining also.

I’m kind of out of other advice here other than to say if you really want it maybe hiring someone to set it up for you would be the best way forward. http://jobs.wordpress.net/

nightsmusic
    Participant

@nightsmusic

Thanks so much for everything. I’ll have to take it to our board to see what they want to do. We’re a non-profit and I can’t make any money decisions without running it past them.

xmasons
    Participant

@xmasons

Another option is to use a BuddyPress plugin, but that too requires some experienced setup. Currently there isn’t a simple way to reply-by-email for the bbPress ecosystem.

nightsmusic
    Participant

@nightsmusic

I spoke with rmccue quite a bit last night. He tells me his particular plugin is still in beta and probably not suitable at this time for me to use. There really aren’t any other plugins that are true plugins that will work for us.

I appreciate everyone’s help here and am thankful for the support.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.