Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

pretty permalink type change gives me a 404 error

• When I go to Admin-> setting ->pretty permalink type _-> and change the type to “name based” any forums set up will give me a “404 error page not found error” Ok so since I am new I deleted all the forums and started with the pretty permalink type of “name based” but the same thing happened. So am I stuck with the defualt of “none”? Thanks Mark

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You’re stuck with the default of ‘none’ if your server doesn’t support mod_rewrite or Options +MultiViews. You can read about setting up permalinks here if your server supports either of those.

Setting up permalinks on bbPress is not as straightforward as it is on WordPress, but they’re working on it.

sockmoney

@sockmoney

Good advice ChrisHajer. Helped me get mine working.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Also don’t forget to copy over the code from the .htaccess file that bbPress semi tries to generate for you. Simply changing the setting in the drop down box isn’t enough.

jpanizzoli
    Participant

@jpanizzoli

I’m having a similar problem (404 error when using Pretty Permalinks) and assumed it was the .htaccess file. But where do I get the code to add to the .htaccess file to make things work properly? Would I need to adjust my main .htaccess file (outside of bbpress) – or is there an .htaccess file for BBPress. I don’t see an .htaccess file in BBPress anywhere…

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You need to create a file called .htaccess in your forum root. Be sure the file starts with a period, and this only works if you’re on an Apache-based web server. IIS will not repond to this.

Point your browser to bb-admin/rewrite-rules.php and paste the output of that screen into the file called .htaccess in your forum root. Now change the setting in the bbPress admin. Hopefully all will be well with that setup, but if not, post here.

For example, if your forum is at http://www.example.com/forums/ then you need to point your browser to http://www.example.com/forums/bb-admin/rewrite-rules.php and grab the output of that to paste into your new .htaccess file. Also, I think that only works if you’re logged in as keymaster. I don’t think you can just do that on any bbPress site.

Also, you might need to put this at the top of your .htaccess file:

Options -MultiViews

Some hosts won’t work without that (like mine for, 1and1.com).

chrishajer you are my hero. My host is also 1&1 and I was really wondering why I couldn’t make these permalink work on my host while it was working perfectly on a local installation. Got really depressed about that. And then I tried to add the line Options -MultiViews and now it works.

You really made my day!!

AAShepAA
    Participant

@aashepaa

Thanks Chris – editing my .htaccess file solved my /forum/forum/ issue!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar