Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Integrating standalone pages, with or without WP

• Is there a way to do standalone pages in bbPress, like the undated “pages” in WordPress?

I’m starting a new project which must consist of a discussion board plus a small set of freestanding pages. The forums and pages need to have the same look and appear as tabs in a coherent navigation structure. I don’t need the freestanding pages to be in a user-friendly CMS, although it would be nice. I’m trying to decide whether to use bbPress alone, bbPress+WordPress, or something completely different.

I was attracted to bbPress in the first place because I thought I could use WordPress’s undated “pages” feature to supplement the forums. But now I gather from other posts that bbPress+WordPress integration is far from straightforward.

So, is there any easy way to present freestanding pages which are uniform in style with bbPress? Or should I give up and go with the competition? (I’m also looking at Drupal, ugh.)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Meh, the people you see here are a very small minority. Integration’s worked perfectly simply for me. Try it and see, what have you lost? It’s not like you’re paying.

You could also create HTML pages with the same markup as bb and simply apply the same stylesheets.

I don’t recommend it, but I believe Joomla also does something similar to what you want. Used it very briefly and found it a bit horrible but that was a very short first impression.

Hi!

You can use WordPress Pages inside bbPress. I’m testing an integration between bb and wp and it works flawlessly. Look for some posts about including wp-config.php or wp-blog-header.php in your config.php.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Actually, fel64, your suggestion of reverse-engineering the HTML skeleton of a bbPress page to make standalone pages that can use the same stylesheets makes perfect sense and is probably what I’ll end up doing.

look at http://www.bbportal.org/…

i guess thats something you are seeking for..

gtz,

jaithn

Thanks, Jaithn. I’ve actually looked at bbPortal and was left puzzled as to what in the heck it’s supposed to do. As someone pointed out elsewhere, a brief description of its purpose and some screenshots could do wonders. But your message is a sign that I should look at it again.

hey riddle,

the only thing bbportal does is taking the post from one part of the board to display is on the frontpage. actually the side support bbportal is running with itself. so, there is your screenshot!

gtz,

jaithn

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar