Jobs

For Sale

Housing

Another Topic

Another Topic

Another Topic

Another Topic

And do this for five or six cities.

How would I do this? I fear the thing will be too big and complicated.

If the answer has to do with multiple forum installations, what’s involved with that? And, I would like users to be able to post in any city without having to log in again and again.

Oh, I should mention that I’m just now learning code ect. I’m at the point where I can tinker with a file if I’m told exactly how to do it.

Any suggestions?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)
  • Try going to your Dashboard > Content > Forums.

I think what he might be looking to achieve is something like this setup where the forums are broken up:

http://floridastate.rivals.com/forum.asp

He is looking for groups of forums that have a heading such as “Chicago” where “Chicago” is not a forum but just a heading.

At least that is my guess. I would also like to be able to do this if anyone knows how with bbpress.

Yes…The link above is very much like what I’m trying to do.

I’m sorry if I’m confusing the names of the different segments, I’ll figure them out, but yes, I want each city to have their own categories to post in.

So, if anyone has any advice on how to do that so that it doesn’t look like hell, I’d love to hear it.

My other idea was to do a separate install for each city so in my directory it would be ChicagoForum, NYForum ect. But, I don’t know if that’s even possible and if it is, how would users be able to post in other forums without having to re-register everytime.

You should know, I’m new to this. I’m learning, but re-writing too much code and messing too much with the database probably isn’t a good idea just yet.

Thanks for your help

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Check this thread, especially the post from sambauers.

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/agregar-nueva-categoria-de-temas?replies=12

As far as multiple forums, one for each city, I think that would be possible and the user could stay logged in across forums assuming the cookies are correct.

It may not be obvious to you, but your so-called categories are identical to parent forums with some different display code. Just make your forums, add your child forums, and then modify the template so that it’s no longer a link and has column headings instead of data of its own. It’s functionally identical.

> You should know, I’m new to this. I’m learning, but re-writing too much code and messing too much with the database probably isn’t a good idea just yet.

Yeah, okay. Don’t worry about it. You’ll learn.

Is this? screenshot1

The structure of forums: screenshot2

Modification for Kakumei theme:

Find <?php if ( bb_forums() ) : ?> to <?php endif; // bb_forums() ?> (Total: 19 lines) in front-page.php.

Replace them with:

<?php
    if ( bb_forums() ) :
    global $bb_forums_loop;
    $_loop =& $bb_forums_loop;
    bb_forum();
    while ($_loop) :
    if ($_loop->walker->depth == 1) {
    ?>
    <h2<?php bb_forum_class?>><?php forum_name(); ?></h2>
    <table id="forumlist">
    <tr>
    <th><?php _e('Main Theme'); ?></th>
    <th><?php _e('Topics'); ?></th>
    <th><?php _e('Posts'); ?></th>
    </tr>
    <?php
    }
    else {
    ?>
    <tr<?php bb_forum_class(); ?>>
    <td><?php bb_forum_pad( '<div class="nest">' ); ?><a href="<?php forum_link(); ?>"><?php forum_name(); ?></a><small><?php forum_description(); ?></small><?php bb_forum_pad( '</div>' ); ?></td>
    <td class="num"><?php forum_topics(); ?></td>
    <td class="num"><?php forum_posts(); ?></td>
    </tr>
    <?php
    }
    bb_forum();
    if ($_loop === null || $_loop->walker->depth == 1)
    echo '</table>';
    endwhile; ?>
    <?php endif; // bb_forums() ?>

Yes! That’s it. Thanks for the code.

Chris…thanks as always and Fel…thanks for the encouragement…I’m figuring this stuff out…with a lot of help of course.

Thanks again all.

Oh, wait…If I want to make a total of seven main themes (rather than just Chicago and New York, do I have to add anything more than this?

Just add the rest of cities at top level as Chicago and New York are.

It Works!

Hey thanks a lot.

And Chris and Fel, your tips made adding child forums easy – thanks.

Everything is going well in terms of building forums for the different cities, but…

Now another issue has come to mind.

I’m not registering users on the main WP blog, so I didn’t integrate bbPress with WP. Maybe I should have.

I’d like to get the header and the navigation bar from the main WP site. And if that’s too much of a pain, I’d at least like to include in bbPress my logo and navigation back to WP. How do I do this?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

For WP header and navigation, or the logo and navigation back to WP, everything you need is in the theme files and the stylesheets. I would make a copy of the default template (create a new folder of a different name, then copy all the files from the stock theme into that new folder, and open style.css and change the Theme Name: Kakumei to Theme Name: ChgoGrrl99), then make your modifications in those files. If you break it, just revert to the stock theme.

But, adding links, adding the WP header and navigation, can all be done in the theme files.

Ok…I’m Stuck.

This is what I feel I have left to do to my forum…if anyone can help.

1. I’d like to add our logo with either a button that says “Home” or something indicating back to the main page. I tried to add the logo included in a banner, but it wasn’t aligned correctly.

2. I’d like to make the green lettering a bolder Color, maybe even change the size of the font.

3. I’d like to eliminate “Latest Discussions” entirely.

4. This message board is huge…Is there a way to anchor each city so we can put links on a page on the main site. Example: “Click Here To Go To the Chicago Forums” and they are taken to the Chicago part of the board.

I know I have a lot of questions, but if I can get the answers to them, I can go to bed.

Oh, and check out the forums some of you have been so great about helping me with….

ok… so I tried posting a link, but it doesn’t show…so

http://www.theangrywaiter.com/forum

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

> 1. I’d like to add our logo with either a button

> that says “Home” or something indicating back to

> the main page. I tried to add the logo included

> in a banner, but it wasn’t aligned correctly.

Try inserting it again so people can see it and help you get it aligned properly

> 2. I’d like to make the green lettering a bolder

> Color, maybe even change the size of the font.

In your theme, find this around line 21 and change to whatever you like:

a { color: #2e6e15; text-decoration: none; }
    a:hover { color: #006400; }

You can change the color and font weight and size there.

> 3. I’d like to eliminate “Latest Discussions”

> entirely.

In front-page.php, on line 11, change this:

<?php if ( $topics || $super_stickies ) : ?>

to this

<?php if ( 0 > 1 ) : ?>

That originally said “if there are topics or super_stickies” then do the rest, which is show the latest discussions. Changing it as shown will cause it to never show “Latest Discussions” because zero is never greater than one (the statement always evaluates false so the code block is skipped). If you want to actually rip out the code that would display the Latest Discussions, you would delete lines 12 to 41 in the file front-page.php in your theme. Those are the line numbers in the stock file, your line numbers might be different. Delete from

<?php if ( $topics || $super_stickies ) : ?>

to

<?php endif; // $topics or $super_stickies ?>

inclusive.

> 4. This message board is huge…Is there a way

> to anchor each city so we can put links on a

> page on the main site. Example: “Click Here To

> Go To the Chicago Forums” and they are taken to

> the Chicago part of the board.

I have to think about that one. I imagine there’s a way to do it, but I haven’t ever done it. Since the name of the city is not a link, you’d have to make that a link to that category, and then suppress the listing of the child forums on the front page. Or, you could just create a new front-page.php that links to only those parent forums. Can you post a link to a screenshot of how you accomplished the different cities like that? Something from your admin panel, or a link to the post here that guided you toward separating things into cities like that?

WAIT: is it this that allowed you to separate the cities? I think livibetter could probably help you do what you want there since that was their code initially.

Alright…this is working great!

I re-added the banner (it’s 760 x106 but I’m thinking of making a new one with the logo and something that says “Home Page” and then linking that to the main site).

And, yes, I did use the code above to make the different cities.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Color, bold and underline looks good.

I see the latest discussions are gone.

I see a logo but it’s under the login box, in Firefox 2.0.0.9 anyway. I won’t mess with that at all since you are going to redo it. You could move it over with some left-padding in the CSS if you wanted to.

For now, you could do something like add a text link to the website home, like I did here a long time ago:

http://www.riversideinfo.org/forum/

That is a modification to header.php to add that text link, and I think I modified the style.css to move it where I wanted it.

Regarding the cities, where’s livibetter? :) (seriously, I haven’t looked at it at all…)

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I was looking into this a little bit and ran into something weird. Click on a subforum in any of the cities and see where you end up. Check the breadcrumb navigation. Something doesn’t seem right there.

Also, you should change the a:hover line in your style.css as well. When you hover over a black link, it turns green now. You might want to make that match the red in your logo maybe.

a:hover { color: #006400; } on line 22, change the #006400 to your new hover color.

Your suggestions are working great.

You know, as far as the new logo and the sign-in form…I’ve been trying to move the log-in, welcome, your profile buttons to the center…I assume this is what you meant when you said adding padding might help. But, I’ve tried just about every part of the style sheet that seems like it might relevant to those buttons, but no luck.

How do I move those things?

You have to put the forum ids into this line (no need to put them all into this line, you can let big cities to be shown in front-page.php)

if (in_array(get_forum_id(), array(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)))

You can get those id in Forum Management by move mouse over Edit links.

Those ids should belongs to top-level forums.

New code (edited):

<?php
    if ( bb_forums() ) :
    global $bb_forums_loop;
    $_loop =& $bb_forums_loop;
    bb_forum();
    $skipForum = false;
    while ($_loop) :
    if ($_loop->walker->depth == 1) {
    if (in_array(get_forum_id(), array(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)))
    $skipForum = true;
    if ($skipForum) {
    ?>
    <h2<?php bb_forum_class?>><a href="<?php forum_link(); ?>">Click Here To Go To the <?php forum_name(); ?> Forums</a></h2>
    <?php
    }
    else {
    ?>
    <h2<?php bb_forum_class?>><?php forum_name(); ?></h2>
    <table id="forumlist">
    <tr>
    <th><?php _e('Main Theme'); ?></th>
    <th><?php _e('Topics'); ?></th>
    <th><?php _e('Posts'); ?></th>
    </tr>
    <?php
    }
    }
    elseif (!$skipForum) {
    ?>
    <tr<?php bb_forum_class(); ?>>
    <td><?php bb_forum_pad( '<div class="nest">' ); ?><a href="<?php forum_link(); ?>"><?php forum_name(); ?></a><small><?php forum_description(); ?></small><?php bb_forum_pad( '</div>' ); ?></td>
    <td class="num"><?php forum_topics(); ?></td>
    <td class="num"><?php forum_posts(); ?></td>
    </tr>
    <?php
    }
    bb_forum();
    if ($_loop === null || $_loop->walker->depth == 1) {
    if (!$skipForum)
    echo '</table>';
    $skipForum = false;
    }
    endwhile; ?>
    <?php endif; // bb_forums() ?>

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

When I last looked at your site (just now) there was no header logo so I could not see about that. Can you draw out where you are thinking of putting the buttons and stuff? I can’t picture what you mean.

So, where is the logo, where is the login and register stuff and where is the link to home and the forum?

Ok, so I have the id’s. So I should replace the old code you gave me with the new code?

Then, on my main site I can add them as links:

For example: “Chicago Forums” link is http://www.theangrywaiter.com/forum/id=2

Is this correct?

The Chicago forum’s id is 2

If the rest forums’ id are 3, 6, 12, then you should replace that line with

if (in_array(get_forum_id(), array(2, 3, 6, 12)))

PS. you don’t need to add additional links, the new code will take care of that you mention in your question #4.

Ok…so I changed the code.

Now, what your saying is that on our main site if we build a “Forums” Page and put:

Click Here To Go To The Chicago Forums

Click Here To Go To The Atlanta Forums

Click Here To GO To The Denver Forums

ect.

it will automatically take people there?

Chris,

I took the logo out and will make a smaller one tomorrow That also says something like “Home” or “Click To Return To The Angry Waiter”.

I was thinking maybe I could move the

“Welcome, admin! View your profile (Admin | Log out)” buttons toward the middle of the header to create more room.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar