Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

here goes …

• Nate
    Participant

@caming

i hate asking for help with opensource (free) software, but i can’t seem to resolve this via the issues presented by others. which sucks, because that’s my normal course of action …

my problem: going to mandressed.com/forums results in just the display of my Home page. Choosing to ‘View’ a forum displays the following: mandressed.com/?forum=mandressed-forum

i’m using a wordpress theme developed by another provider (themefuse), and it involves their own framework. and i’ve followed john’s theme compatibility post by doing the following:

-copied all files from bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten into my theme folder (/wp-content/themes/lifestyle), including single-forum file, etc etc, and creating a /bbpress/ folder within it for the single bbpress css, respective js file, etc.

-i am admittedly confused by the ‘modify your style.css to make it a custom child theme of whatever your current theme is.’

maybe that’s the dilemma.

if i’m missing the obvious or you guys can’t respond, that’s cool. normally i have a lightbulb moment and resolve it in time. just asking for some direction.

thanks,

nate

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Nate
    Participant

@caming

>>If this is not a custom theme under your control (meaning you are not the author) you’ll want to copy the entire “/bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten” folder into your themes folder, rename it to something else, and modify your style.css to make it a custom child theme of whatever your current theme is. <<<

OK. Retracted my previous efforts after realizing I probably misinterpreted the directions, and just freshly installed the twentyten folder (as suggested above) into my themes folder and renamed it. So … at this point, how do I modify the style.css to “make it a custom theme.”?

Thaaaanks

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@caming – Thanks for taking the time to search around and give it a go on your own. The missing piece to your puzzle can be found at the link below:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Cheers

Nate
    Participant

@caming

thanks john. i followed the instructions, and edited the style.css in /wp-content/themes/bbpresslifestyle …

snippet:

* Theme Name: bbpresslifestyle

* Template: lifestyle

and activated the child theme via dashboard. the result is:

http://www.mandressed.com/?forum=mandressed-forum

and some of my page elements from the parent theme (not all) are no longer displaying. again, i wonder if it’s because of the theme’s custom framework.

or i’m really, really close…

(betting on the former).

meh.

thanks!

Nate
    Participant

@caming

Nate
    Participant

@caming

nm, i think i got it! just went ‘back to the basics’ and avoided the whole “theme compatability” stuff. with with some help from fellow user @ morten from riftlabs, i should be up and running soon …

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar