Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Guide to convert vBulletin 4 to bbPress (plus integrating bbPress with WordPress

• amplifiedshock

@amplifiedshock

Hello everyone,

I just wrote a guide to basically achieve what the title says. Two reasons:

(1) There isn’t a vb4-to-bbPress converter out there making the process more difficult then it should be

(2) The answers are out there if you’re willing to search for hours like I did :P I decided to piece together all my research into a single guide

Credit, of course, goes to the generous souls who created the vB-to-phpBB and the phpBB-to-bbPress converters, which are both required.

I’m still working on the integration with WordPress part which should be up soon. If you guys see any errors, please let me know.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Forgot the link! http://www.ericm.ca/2010/articles/vbulletin-4-to-bbpress-and-wordpress-integration

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• amplifiedshock

@amplifiedshock

Guide to WordPress integration is now up. Ah, that was a good day and a half of playing around in phpMyAdmin, bbPress, and WordPress! :-)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Nice!

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Nice work man. Nice work.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

I thought it was an excellent guide. Truly awesome.

r-a-y
    Participant

@r-a-y

Thanks for the writeup!

To those reading, the “limitations of converting” section is key. Read that section before starting with the guide.

amplifiedshock

@amplifiedshock

Thanks guys!

I’m currently working on integrating WordPress 3 (WMPU), bbPress, and BuddyPress so that they all use the same database. I’ll post the results and a guide when I get it to work!

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

I’m going to do something strange here AmplifiedShock, I’m going to ask you NOT to do that.

The “bbPress” that BuddyPress uses is not the same as this “bbPress”. It is heavily heavily modified. Basically the whole of BackPress is removed and replaced by custom functions, and then some of the middle tiering has been rewritten, and a little bit of the front end output and default theme.

A large chunk of the support requests we deal with each day/week is people coming here because BuddyPress calls their forums “bbPress”. We need to be able to tell people honestly and without looking like we’re being difficult, that if they use BuddyPress we can’t help them.

I’m sure it’s technically possible to do anything. I’m sure once it’s technically possible, it’s easier to write a guide for people to follow. You seem to be good enough to do that :) But with bbPress being turned into a WP plugin and Matt publicly telling people not to use this software; inviting more support queries that end in “we simply can’t help you” isn’t going to help us at all.

Now if you felt like writing more tutorials on converting from other forums to bbPress, I’m sure there would be a good market in that for you!

And, as always, thanks for your time

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar