Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum Index + Topics by Freshness

• Simon Barnett
    Participant

@simbasounds

Is it possible to combine Forum Index with Topics by Freshness?
    ie. list the fresh topics beneath the Forum title link to which they belong?

I’m not sure why Forum Settings page has:
    Topics & Replies Per Page
    Topics – How many topics to show per page in the forum index

..when topics is only represented as a number – feels like I may be missing something.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • I just updated that page to ‘Topics – How many topics to show per page’

As to combining the ‘Forum Index with Topics by Freshness’ I’m not exactly sure what you mean by this, for example look at the following two pages here on bbpress.org

https://bbpress.org/forums/forum/installation/ <- That’s the ‘Instalation’ forum 25 topics/page
    https://bbpress.org/forums/forum/troubleshooting/ <- That’s the ‘Troubleshooting’ forum 25 topics/page

If you wanted to have something like below on a single page then you would have to customize your templates or use some shortcodes on your page to get the layout you want. It is quite doable but once you get 50 topics for example in a forum finding ‘Forum B’ or any other forums below that list will be extremely difficult.

Forum A

• Topic 1
    • Topic 2
    • Topic 3
    • … etc
      Forum B

• Topic 1
    • Topic 2
    • Topic 3
    • … etc

Simon Barnett
    Participant

@simbasounds

Thanks for the detailed reply, Stephen. I probably meant Forum Root rather than Forum Index, but the way you describe it is exactly what I’m after.

I had considered what to do about the list getting too long and it will almost certainly be a matter of listing only the freshest 10 topics per forum. Clicking the Forum title would take you to the full list.

Now that I know where to begin I’ll probably figure it out eventually (new to BBPress but not afraid of code), but if you have some suggestions on where to get started or even a block of code to copy-paste I certainly wouldn’t object to using it : )

If get around to it first I’ll post my findings here for the knowledge base.

ronthai
    Participant

@ronthai

For what you want you could always make use of the Recent Topics Widget and setup a whole new page/index.php that shows:

Forum name
    Recent Topics widget for that forum only

Forum name
    Recent Topics widget for that forum only

Seems a lot simpler then changing the core files, which will be an issue for updates.
    The look of the widget can be easily altered by css

Simon Barnett
    Participant

@simbasounds

Seems like a good suggestion, ronthal.. thanks, I’ll try it

Simon Barnett
    Participant

@simbasounds

Perfect! Many thanks Stephen and Ronthal

I’m using the Dynamik Website Builder, so it was pretty easy to create a widgetized page.

Without a website builder some methods of widgetizing a page can be found by googling [create a widgetized page template] or perhaps by using a plugin.

Then I retrieved the Forum ID’s by viewing the Forum’s page source, or editing the Forum in WP Admin and looking at the post ID in the URL.
    eg. /wp-admin/post.php?post=4540&action=edit

Then I simply put two widgets into my custom widget area with their respective IDs and set the number of topics to 10.

There is no styling, which is a good thing – I can style it how I want now.

Nice, thanks for the follow up 🙂

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.