Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BBpress faster than WordPress

• techypenguin

@techypenguin

Thanks for this forum integration into WP.

Just what we needed for the blog.

I have one question here….

Why is BBpress much faster than WordPress?

They are freshly installed into a same debian server and wordpress would take a while to load. Most amazingly BBpress just take les than a second to load. Anyone got suggestions?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

More queries in WordPress vs. bbPress?

You can add this to your template footer.php (one for WordPress and one for bbPress) files and it will add a comment that is visible in the source with the amount of time taken and how many queries it took to generate the page.

bbPress

<!-- It took <?php bb_timer_stop(1); ?> and <?php echo $bbdb->num_queries; ?> queries -->

WordPress

<!-- It took <?php timer_stop(1); ?> and <?php echo get_num_queries(); ?> queries -->

Maybe you can spot some differences there.

techypenguin

@techypenguin

Thanks but the quiries doesnt work. might be because of my theme. anyway, most of the paid server out there are much faster than the virtualhost. all other cms template like phpbb3 and mambo i’ve tried are slower than the previous version of them. i already max out my cache on the server but it’s still slow :( . sometime it’s crash after a week or so. dont have budget for the bladeserver though.haha

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

You probably need to see a breakdown of queries between bbPress and WordPress to understand what’s going on. There may be a plugin in WordPress that’s causing it to lag for you.

But in general, bbPress 0.9 is faster than WordPress 2.3-2.7

It’s similar in concept WordPress 2.0 before it got bloated with too many “features” that should have been optional plugins.

bbPress 1.0 unfortunately will change that and slow down somewhat because of a radical increase in complexity and a doubling of the number of files needed to load to execute a page. Mysql queries will also increase by at least 50%

1.0 will be easier to cache however so that will probably compensate.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

@techypenguin: What do you mean, “Thanks but the quiries doesnt work” – you need to get it to work to see if that’s part of the problem. Then you need to figure out where the extra queries are coming from.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Their server might have networked storage (NFS) which WordPress runs poorly on. bbPress 1.0 will have similar issues because of the sheer number of files.

But try installing bb-benchmark on the bbPress side and try this great-grandfather of bb-benchmark on the WordPress side (jeromes-query-diagnostics). I’ve been too busy to port bb-benchmark back to wordpress unfortunately.

techypenguin

@techypenguin

hi u all. sorry for the late reply. i’ve got it sorted. it’s because of my server cache level is not enough for handling newer version of server software. I recently bought a hp proliant server and all the issues been sorted. thanks for the reply. i’m thinking to develop a plugin for bbpress now since i’m happy with my server.. ;)

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

If you have your own server make sure you setup your mysql cache properly and even more importantly make sure you install some kind of PHP opcode cache (eaccelerator, xcache or APC). Even the fastest server will greatly benefit from an opcode cache.

techypenguin

@techypenguin

I’ve tried eaccelerator and xcache but it seems not compatible with my current debian setup. i have purge the installation back. i haven’t try APC yet. gonna try this in couple of hour. why bbpress.org use litespeed instead of apache?even other big site too dont use apache2. from what i’ve seen, apache2 have more function than apache1 and easy to use too..

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Apache, both 1 and 2 are based on old slow code. You can spend hours fiddling with performance settings and barely fix the problem. They don’t do well for very active sites and apache can be easily ddos’ed. You can either throw more hardware at the problem or replace apache when the loads get too high.

LiteSpeed is literally twice as fast/half the load as apache (it’s also a bit expensive for the commercial version but there is a 5 account version available for free). Additionally it can plow through many kinds of ddos attacks. It’s a piece of cake to install and configure (GUI based).

The free Nginx is also twice as fast as Apache but LiteSpeed can use Apache’s httpd.conf and .htaccess files so it’s very easy to install (10 minutes tops) and you can even switch back to Apache if so desired. Nginx requires a complete rewrite of any mod_rewrite rules, etc. and requires technical skill to install/operate.

Matt is slowly converting some of Automattic’s server from LiteSpeed to Nginx to keep the ideals of open source but LiteSpeed is still too good and has no serious competition as far as compatibility so I bet he will probably continue to run it on some servers for years.

As far as opcode caches I am surprised you had trouble with eaccelerator which tends to be the most compatible/easiest to install. APC does have some quirks but it’s being adopted by PHP and may become “built in” in some future version.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

How to install eaccelerator onto debian with PHP5

http://www.howtoforge.com/eaccelerator_php5_debian_etch

(should be similar or even easier for PHP4)

techypenguin

@techypenguin

tht tutorial sure helped me.thanks _ck_. last time i check the speed for mysql is 0.005sec before installing eaccelerator. how about win server?any good?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I recently ran into a problem with eaccelerator installed from source:

When you update PHP, Apache will not restart since eaccelerator was compiled with an earlier version of PHP, and Apache can’t load the eaccelerator.so binary. If Apache won’t start, maybe this is why. Apache didn’t give any good messages at all, but php -m on the command line showed a problem with the eaccelerator binary being compiled for an earlier version of PHP. So, just recompile, reinstall and restart Apache.

Hope that helps someone.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Yes when you rebuild PHP to a new version you must rebuild the eaccelerator module, that’s a good tip.

Also sometimes after a rebuild you need to clear the eaccelator disk cache which is usually stored in tmp or you might have specified somewhere else in the php.ini settings.

techypenguin, mysql speed is not related to eaccelerator but mysql’s own cache.

If you are going by the time showed inside bbpress pages, that’s misleading as it shows the number of queries but the entire page generation time, not mysql query time. If you want to see the breakdown, install my bb-benchmark plugin.

techypenguin

@techypenguin

nice. i’ll installed it later on. might show some good results.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar