Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress + divi template questions

• b0nkers2021
    Participant

@b0nkers2021

Hi, my first time posting here.

I’ve installed bbpress on a website with member protected pages and was only able to hide the forums by setting them to private.

Using Divi, I have created 2 different top navigation menus that display for different page groups – members or public.

The bbpress forum index and pages are not WP pages that can be edited like regular pages, so I am wondering how to edit them. Mainly, the edits I’d like to make are removing the right sidebar and setting the menu to the member’s only menu.

What if I wanted to add/remove other content from the forum pages where do I do this?

Thanks

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress will render pages using a .php file – this can be one of many in your theme.

It is this file that you will need to edit and put in a child theme to get what you want.

so how familiar with files, FTP and code are you ?

b0nkers2021
    Participant

@b0nkers2021

Thanks for the quick reply.

I used to mod forums and CMS’s before WP existed and have not done much since… so I ‘get it’ but don’t know enough to just whip up a bunch of code. haven’t touched PHP but can get through HTML. Would editing the file not also change the layout etc of other pages within the theme or is the forum using something dedicated to it and it only? Essentially, I need to make the forum look like an existing site and change the header at minimum.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so do you have a link to a forum page I can look at?

b0nkers2021
    Participant

@b0nkers2021

Sure do, thanks!

Private Group for Men in Dead Bedrooms

Goal is to have this visible only to paid members and edit the template as mentioned above.

Robin W

@robin-w

so we need to work out which theme template is rendering the forum pages

looking at the page you gave me, I see that the template has a div of

<div id="content-area" class="clearfix">

This is probably a common div to several files, but we can use it’s presence to track down the file

so you need to look in your theme (wp-content/themes/%your-theme-name%) for likely files

If you have notepad++ (or another text editor that will do this) you can download your theme to your computer and do a search across all the files.

otherwise you might have files called page.php, single.php, content.php, content-page.php etc.

in each file where you find the <div id="content-area" then add a further class, but call each one something different

eg

<div id="content-area myclass1" class="clearfix">
    <div id="content-area myclass2" class="clearfix">
    etc.

then use the browser inspector and hopefully you’ll find the class repeated in there which will tell you what template it is using

then come back

meganhughes
    Participant

@meganhughes

I am also looking for the same solution. My forums end up going to the main template (with the main menu across the top and a side bar). Is there any way to visually edit the forum pages from a blank template?

Robin W

@robin-w

@meganhughes – this is theme specific – and themes render in lots of different ways, no blanket solution unfortunately

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar