Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress as standalone project (as fork)

• jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

Who can help us to keep bbPress as standalone CMS engine?

We will clear up all wp trash from code and will continue bbPress life as new engine.

Simpler, faster, more elegant

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)

• Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

You really shouldn’t go that way, please.

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

bbPress inside WordPress will be slow and heavy.

i liked bbPress for performance and simplicity

imho, wp goes to wrong “all-in-one-combine” future, but this is developers decision

i would like to make future with “NewEngine”

so, who wants to help – please write here

who not – please, ignore

p.s. i will leave this idea if i can install next bbPress versions without WP

p.p.s but i can’t?

psycheangels

@psycheangels

i agree with jurasiks, bbpress should not be a wordpress plugin.

im thinking that future bbpress can be a new style of forum engine

in my head now i am think about “micro forum”

gerikg

@gerikg

Gautam once it’s a plugin it won’t be hard to add on some stuff to make it a standalone right?

Ashish Kumar (Ashfame)
    Participant

@ashfame

I will keep bbPress alive as standalone version. I have taken this task as a major project of my Bachelors degree.

@Gautam

Its better to have a standalone version for those who just needs to run a forum.

Those who want a better integration with WordPress, can go for the plugin version but I will myself prefer to use the standalone version at times.

Darfuria

@darfuria

I thought the plugin version was already underway, hence https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress/

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

It’s good to see people, who liked bbPress.

I was on some GSOC channel in IRC, some guys told me that: they decided to make bbPress like WP plugin.

But WHO and WHY – i don’t know. So, like chrishajer said: “impossible to kill open-source project”.

We will keep bbPress fork as standalone, but now i need to ask admins of this site: will they provide us place for project here? or we must make new name of bbPress?

johnhiler

@johnhiler

If you’re serious about keeping bbPress as standalone software, you’re in luck: that’s exactly what bbPress is doing for the next version or two. No need to fork just yet: just get more involved with bbPress.

bbPress will probably start to begin the slow process of becoming a WordPress plugin later this year or maybe next year… at which point, you’ll be better acquainted with the software and in a better position to consider a fork! :-)

gerikg

@gerikg

It hasn’t happened yet (a completed plugin) and with no developers, or developers on other projects, I don’t think it will happen anytime this year. I’ll bet on it. Either way, I read a lot of “let’s do this and let’s do that” but no action. I don’t think any of us can demand anything. We aren’t paying anyone anything. I doubt anyone donates either. We can request it, we can be annoying about it, but the choice is not ours. If you haven’t noticed the more annoying people get, the less developers we have. We can start a movement away from bbP once it’s a plugin but it hasn’t happened. This is premature complaining because it hasn’t happened.

We should focus on four things

1 Getting the current plugins to have admin menus for non-php editors.

2 More Plugins

3 More themes (the reason I picked wordpress over drupal)

4 Documentations. It will be easier for people to code once the basic map is mapped out instead of everyone starting from ground zero. https://bbpress.org/documentation/

gerikg

@gerikg

Sorry if I sounded negative but I don’t mean to be.

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

I see. Ok, if bbPress stays as standalone yet – i will stay with it.

In my plans – make good wiki about bbPress and make some skins for it.

But i need 1.0.3 final (or maybe i can start now with 1.1 beta?)

but everybody must understand our apprehensions about bbPress future,

we used very good forum engine and one day he will become WP plugin…

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

bbPress _must_ not become a WordPress plugin. First of all because a BBS isn’t always associated with a blog and in my case this never happens. bbPress gain the attentions of a lot of people tired of bloatware engine like phpBB or slow engine like vBullettin. I switched to bbPress on all my sites for these reason.

Seconded a lot of people (as far as I know) chose bbPress because they can access to a WordPress style plugin system. If you have ever written a plugin for WordPress you can edit a bbPress one easily in order to accommodate your needs. But if bbPress will be a plugin of WordPress you will download a plugin… of a plugin? This is kind of confusing IMHO. Obviously I’m not talking about PHP programmers or in general skilled people but of regular users.

Third I think that the bbPress project deserve its own space. It is a too well done piece of code and for being a mere WordPress plugin.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

THIS IS IMPORTANT POST, WHICH EVERYONE SHOULD READ:

For the time being, according to the plan laid down by Matt (which was weeks ago), bbPress will continue to be a standalone till some 1.2 version and then change into a plugin.

Now there are 2 things for you to consider:

1. Start your own project and if you start, then there will be 2 things:

1. Either your project would get more attention if development doesn’t start here
      2. Or your project and hard work would go into vain if the development starts here/or you still don’t get popularity. So you might consider point 2.

2. Wait for the development to start (which would only happen when Matt pays attention to it, maybe after WP 3.0?). You might now want to start your own development, then see point 1.

I know that you might be confused, but I am also confused as much as you’re, thinking should I keep developing plugins for bbPress or not (nor any donations have come in the recent days). I’ll probably start developing plugins for BuddyPress/WordPress and be active on projects like After the Deadline/GlotPress.

I personally think that Matt is not considered about this project because (I might be wrong):

1. See his reply here – https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/whats-happening-with-bbpress/page/5#post-64425 (which was his last post on this forum).
    2. I mailed him to let me take on the development and he said to be just active on trac, maybe he has some other plans down the line?

Right now, chrishajer is committing patches to the trunk (as he has the svn access) and IMO, trunk is more stable than 1.0.2.

Another thing is that half the people want it to be a plugin and half want it to be a standalone. Thus, I posted this method – https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-as-a-wordpress-plugin-thoughts#post-64476, and it is how BuddyPress integrates bbPress forums into WP/BP install. This way it will remain a standalone for those who want it to be simple, light, fast etc. and plugin for those who want deep integration, ease of install etc. The problem that arises here is the plugin and theme repo, anyone has a solution to that? Maybe here’s one – https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-as-a-wordpress-plugin-thoughts#post-64737

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

I thonk that BuddyPress needs WP installation for work… so it’s fully WP plugin. Am i not right?

Second, i sent 2 messages to Matt too… still no answer from him.

Third. I think there is best solution for both teams = keep bbpress as standalone but with deep WP intergration plugin.

And main question: Who is admin of this site with full access if Matt left project?

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Back from my holidays and hopefully ramping up some bbPress dev in the next week or so, and this looks like a nice thread to come back to :)

The thing that I think a few folks have missed out on, is that the biggest changes from bbPress 0.9 to bbPress 1.0 is that alot of the core functions of the backend were unified into BackPress. While this added bloat to be sure, it basically gave us a unified platform on which ‘all’ of the automattic software solutions would be based. Except… none of the others moved to BackPress.

So we don’t have any (to the best of my knowledge) WordPress functions in bbPress, but also with “deep integration” we’re loading multiple classes and functions that effectively do the same thing. With deep integration we duplicate all of the base calls and functions every time we load a page.

BuddyPress got round this by ripping out all of the backpress stuff, and making the bbPress functions call the WordPress functions. BuddyPress’ forum is based on bbPress, its isn’t bbPress. This is where Sam kind of got the short end of the stick. Had WordPress moved to BackPress (instead of porting WP changes into BackPress) then all of the Automattic software solutions would be on the same base platform, and integration between them all would be a doddle. It also would have meant that bbPress could be both a stand alone AND a plugin, as it would effectively be a large “module” on top of BackPress functions.

The realsim is, that without any form of Project Management (and i know that phrase is where people start to hate me) or cohersion between the Automattic projects or developers and contributors, we’re effectively going to go in circles here.

Today marks the 3rd Month with no blog post or communication (other than the infamous “I just want to quit the whole project” statement from Matt). As much as that is disheartening, its not a shock. Matt (the person) and Matt (the developer) and those he works with on these projects have their hands full right now; and from what I’ve seen Chris has continued to steady the ship in a wonderful fashion… but make no mistake we’re drifting aimlessly in the current direction. Lets just keep the ship afloat, try and fix some bugs, and we’ll see what happens when we’re closer to a release.

Hope you’re all having a wonderful afternoon.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

GlotPress runs on BackPress too. BuddyPress doesn’t need BackPress because much code of it is already there in WordPress. And WordPress will eventually shift to BackPress. Though, that’s really not a matter of argument.

@Yuri

And main question: Who is admin of this site with full access if Matt left project?

As far as I know, matt, sambauers, and mdawaffe are keymasters and trent, chrishajer and _ck_ are moderators.

gerikg

@gerikg

@Gautam,

So no active Keymasters and one active moderator, does not give anyone hope. Maybe it’s time to get new people?

This thread can go back and forth, like now. And like now, annoying more people. I hope it’s not influencing you to leave, you helped me through a lot of plugins issue

So maybe the priority is getting new keymasters and moderators?

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

Better to get FTP and DB passwords for this site, because keymasters are not a solution.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@Yuri

Talk practically, as if automattic would give you the passwords. By the way I think this website is owned by matt, as he said in one of the IRC chats or this forum. You can also check here – http://www.pir.org/get/whois?domain=bbpress&Submit=Search while wordpress is owned by automattic – http://www.name.com/whois_result?type=domain&domain_name=wordpress.com&submit=+Submit+

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

i checked 2 hours ago whois, sent message to Matt email with my question and sent message to his Facebook page.

If they don’t want to participate in developing of bbPress – they can give us (community) this opportunity.

If they don’t want that – we will just make fork.

p.s. if they give us chance – i will make new design for bbpress.org xD

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Automattic is a company which owns all these projects (WordPress etc) – http://automattic.com/

And Sam had already made a new design for this forum a while ago but has not been implemented yet – https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/sneak-peek-at-bbpressorg-20

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

Automattic is not owner.

bbPress – open-source and they just (see site): “contribute to a number of non-profit and Open Source projects”.

about style – i saw that topic long time ago, but where is Sam? you said that there are no alive admins…

jurasiks
    Participant

@jurasiks

we’ve got 1 open ticket till 1.0.3 on trac?

sent another message to Matt, spam his Facebook page…

is he ignoring us? :(

johnhiler

@johnhiler

Why do we need to bother Matt again? We have everything we need to get the next version out the door… the cavalry isn’t coming to save us, but I think that’s ok.

Chris is doing a great job managing trac, and we’re making steady progress til the next version! Once that comes out, maybe we can pull up then?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar